Printing the first page of a chapter or section on the recto page

Hi,
I have Scrivener for Windows. I’m trying to format a book for paperback format, to be published on Amazon’s KDP service. It’s been a steep learning curve, but then it’s a complex process which, for the most part, Scrivener handles well. However, I’ve hit a problem that, for me, is a pretty big deal. The book is divided into sections, each of which has a title page, which I need to appear on the right-hand (recto) side, as is conventional. Within each section there are a number of chapters, and for each chapter the same logic applies - open page of chapter with chapter heading, to appear on the recto side. The manual (yes, I have read it!) has screenshots showing that in the compile formats ‘neẇ pages’ tab there should be a dropdown menu to select the page placement logic in exactly the way I want - the problem is that those screenshots are obviously from a Mac, and the all-important dropdown simply isn’t there in my Windows version - there’s just an empty space. Is this functionality not implemented in the Windows version, or is it hiding somewhere else? If it isn’t available, then can you suggest some way that I can work around it? My current version of the compiled output has sections and chapters starting wherever they happen to fall, and it looks awful, because that just isn’t the way a paperback should be laid out. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

Currently only on macOS, I’m afraid.

You could:

• Compile your Project on an Apple Macintosh computer
  • Add empty pages by inserting Page-breaks
  • Lay out your paperback in software that’s designed to do these kind of things, like InDesign or Affinity Publisher

Hope this Helps

In the User Manual for MacOS, this is covered in section 24.2.5 New Pages in a unnumbered subsection entitled “Setting which page a section falls on.”

In the User Manual for Win, section 24.5.2 New Pages does not have any such a subsection and says nothing there about the “always start section on” setting. (Which makes me wonder if you are looking at the wrong manual!)

So, I suspect the Windows version does not have this option.

Another thing to notice is that that option is only available on MacOS Scriv when compiling to Print, PDF and DOCX. So, that setting is not available anyway if you are compiling to ebook.

(BTW, I am not seeing screenshots of the sort you describe in either manual! And I just pulled a fresh copy of both from User Manuals | Literature & Latte)

Thanks Antoni - it’s as I suspected. I don’t have access to a Mac; I’ve downloaded a trial version of Affinity but it’s but no means clear how to go about importing anything - I guess I’ll just have to do it the hard way by putting blank pages in. I have to say that Scrivener is a brilliant piece of software in so many ways, and I’ve been able to sort out all the other issues after a lot of hard work - but to run into this particular problem at this point is a bitter disappointment. I really hope this functionality gets implemented soon (though as a software developer myself I do understand how complex the functionality is). Anyway, thanks for your help.

I’m using the right manual - the screenshots I think came from one of the many support sites (I’ve looked at so many over the last few days that I’ve reached the stage where I can no longer remember what I saw where!) Many thanks for your help.

In Scrivener’s favor, the program was not really meant to create print-ready PDFs for paperbacks, but to support the writing process and output intermediate documents to be used as-is or as input to said graphic software.

Its ability to output nearly good enough quality documents results in the situations where users have problems to achieve design elements like drop caps, verso and recto pages, illustrations in chapter openings, running headers and such.