Problem compiling using MultiMarkdown -> PDF

I’m trying to compile to PDF using MultiMarkdown → PDF and I’m getting the following error:

kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+0/600 --dpi 600 tcss1200
mktexpk: No such file or directory
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.

Thinking I had messed up my mmd/LaTeX install, I created a new project using the same template (Short Story) and put some dummy text into it. It compiled fine. I then started copying documents from my existing project into the new one until it failed. I’ve stripped down the remaining project to the smallest bit that still fails on my system, but I’m stumped (which doesn’t take much - I’m just starting to work with mmd/LaTeX).

The full error log is in the Research Folder in the project. I couldn’t find the missfont.log file but if someone can tell me where it is, I’m happy to provide it.

MacOS: 11.6.6 (Big Sur)
Scrivener: 3.2.3 (14869)
mmd: MultiMarkdown 6 v6.6.0
pdfTeX: This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592653-2.6-1.40.24 (TeX Live 2022)

tlmgr -update has run and everything is up to date.

I also ran updmap-sys and it reported no errors.

Thanks for any ideas on where I’ve messed up.

Test 2022-05-29 (83.0 KB)

The first thing I would try is compiling to .tex instead of straight to .pdf, to disambiguate whether this has anything to do with Scrivener or not. I would suspect not, since all it is doing internally is creating a .tex file (and any other necessary support files) into a tmp folder and then executing pdflatex or xelatex three times. If you run into the same errors with TeXShop (which comes installed with the full MacTeX distribution, but if you don’t have it, it’s an open source tool available from here), then you at least know that nothing you do in Scrivener is going to make a difference.

Again I suspect it has nothing to do with Scrivener because of the nature of the problem. Your system does not seem to have some necessary utilities installed (mktexpk). If I type in the following into Terminal, I get:

which mktexpk

My guess is that you’ll get a “mktexpk not found” response, instead.

One clue is the path structure in your error log. It is referencing support files and such from /usr/local/texlive/2022basic/…, whereas mine is …/2022/… I don’t know if the super minimal basic MacTeX distribution is going to be enough for the stock boilerplate stuff MultiMarkdown uses (and by extension, the “Modern” look I created is heavily based upon MMD’s example framework). I know it’s about a 3gb difference between the two, but if you have the drive space to spare, you’ll likely run into fewer headaches and package installation woes just going with the full download.

And yes, your example project compiles perfectly fine for me.

Thanks for checking and confirming that the problem is between the chair and keyboard on this end.

mktexpk is installed, so I’m figuring that I’m missing some other support package. I had to add a few using tlmgr just to get this far, so…

I’m going to nuke the existing TeX setup and install the full package (space wasn’t the issue, I just didn’t think I’d need much more than the basics) and try it again.

Thanks for your help.

Yup - that was the problem. I installed the full MacTeX package and it’s working like a champ.


Okay, glad things are working now! It is good to know the basic distro isn’t really MMD/Scrivener friendly. I’ve always wondered about that.