Project Statistics Reports Incorrectly

I think this might be a bug in version 2.3. I wanted to run a report on my project to see how many pages I had written since I had it broken up into parts. I have selected the main document folder in the binder and ran statistics. It tells me that AS COMPILED I have 18 pages (printed) and 31 pages (paperback), 8,089 words, 45,574 characters. I tried the following:

Count current compile group only
Count all documents
Count subdocuments
Words per page 250

I even tried changing it to: Count only documents marked for inclusion.

I even went in to compile and made sure all the documents in my story were selected. The real thing is I have currently 51 pages written (printed).

Nothing is making it read correctly. :frowning:

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

I’m not aware of any bugs related to Project Statistics (nothing has changed in that regard since 2.2) and I’ve just tested this on several projects and it is all working fine. You say you have “count current compile group only” ticked. Have you tried un-ticking it? Project stats compiles the whole thing in the background so it should be accurate, and I’m having problems thinking about what the cause might be. Could you zip the project up and send it to us at AT literatureandlatte DOT com for testing?

Thanks and all the best,

Hi Keith-

I think I figured out what is going wrong, and you’re right, it’s not a bug. In my story I have my chapters broken down, and then I have scenes broken down inside of that and each scene is a new file that is split by using command/K. So what happens is, say scene three ends with only five lines at the top of the page, well that leaves all this space at the bottom that is blank, and scene four starts at the beginning of the next page at the top. So, what happening is I think I have more written pages than I should thanks to that empty space, but when compiled it’s obviously a bit shorter because its using up that empty space. Scene four starts just a few lines down from the end of scene three the way it should. With that being said, I think version 2.2 might have an an issue in that department because that is truly where I got the idea I had written more than I thought. Then I upgraded to 2.3 and I thought something was terribly fishy! HA!

So, it’s not a bug in 2.3! I apologize for assuming the worst! :blush:

Thanks for giving us such a robust program! I truly think my world would end without it.

All the best!


P.S. I just upgraded that 11in Macbook Air to a lovely wonderful 13 in. :smiley:

Glad you worked it out! And I’m glad it doesn’t seem to be a bug in 2.3 - let me know if you notice anything else, though. 2.3 has been a suspiciously easy update so far, with only a couple of very minor bugs reported. It’s suspicious because so much has been done internally since 2.2 in preparation for various Apple changes that it’s hard to believe there won’t be a few more bugs lurking, despite all the testing we did. :slight_smile:

You’d have to prise my MBA11 from my clammy dead hands!