Projects Appearing as Tabs in Single Window

Hey all,

I’ve been a Scrivener user for over 10 years now and it’s still my default word processing app. Since updating to macOS Big Sur and Scrivener 3.2.2, however, I’ve noticed that all my open projects group themselves into a single window and appear as tabs.

I do not want this to happen. I want each of my projects in a separate window. I’ve gone through all the logical places to find this setting and can’t seem to – can someone point me to where it is? Or explain how I can stop Scrivener from doing this? Thanks!

Relevant commands are on the Window menu, and documented in Appendix A.11 of the manual.

Yikes! I hate this, too. First, there’s an option in Scrivener’s Window menu that will get you out if you find yourself in it: Window->Move Tab to New Window.

Now to prevent it from happening in the first place: This is a Mac-wide option. Open your System Preferences app, open General preferences, and change your Prefer tabs: option.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Katherine’s answer (Windows > Move Tab to New Window) will solve the immediate problem, but it won’t stop it happening again.

That’s because consolidating windows into tabs is a system wide preference, which was introduced a year or so back. You’ll find it applies to most programs which allow tab (and it’s very irritating…)

You’ll find the setting in System Preferences > General: there is a drop down box Prefer Tabs, which you probably have set to ‘Always’. Choose either ‘in full screen’ (my choice) or ‘Always’, and you should find that this irritation will never happen again…

HTH

EDIT: too late!

AHHHH thank you all so much. I figured it was something super obvious that I was just completely overlooking.

2 Likes

Not so obvious. I remember having to figure this out when Scrivener first started supporting tabs, in 2018 or 2019, and being very frustrated for a while.