ProWritingAid within Scrivener has VANISHED!

I write with Scrivener on a Windows 11 PC, and just today I noticed that ProWritingAid popped on and began offering suggestions. While I use PWA within other apps I never saw it before in Scrivener, and don’t know where it came from. I was glad to see it though!

However, since this was rather disruptive to my workflow I went to the PWA icon at the bottom right of the screen. There were options of “Pause”, “Pause for an hour”, “Turn off PWA”, etc. I figured that, if I turned it off I could turn it back on when I was ready for editing. Apparently that’s not true. The icon completely vanished along with all options.

I’ve since reinstalled PWA and even installed PWA Everywhere, restarted the computer, searched for corrections in the settings of both Scrivener and PWA as well as on the websites of L&L and PWA, but I cannot figure out how to return the icon to Scrivener and regain access to PWA within the program.

Does anyone have any thoughts that I haven’t already tried? Thank you in advance!

A guess: likely there is a settings panel with a list of apps in which to show up and in which to rather not?

From

There is, and I found the answer in this article (You control where ProWritingAid Everywhere works). In the taskbar at the very bottom right of the screen, I clicked the ^ and there’s the PWA icon. I right-clicked on it, then clicked Settings to find “Blocked Apps” where I could remove the block on Scrivener and make PWA active again within that program. HUZZAAHHH!

3 Likes

A note of caution. I used the turn off option for turning Prowriting Aid in all apps and was difficult to get Prowriting aid back on. Suggest avoiding the last option.

1 Like

Excellent suggestion! Thank you.

I noticed that Grammarly is a bit fussy with the recent update of Scrivener for Windows. But Grammarly quickly updates its code to stay current with writing apps. So, for example, Grammarly now has AI-suggested writing styles as you type. But the AI doesn’t write novels on the fly yet that I can publish and retire as a millionaire.

So, for now, I’m still just typing away in Scrivener. Not a bad thing at all to be doing, by the way.

Grammarly has GrammarlyGO in beta, which doesn’t work in Scrivener. But if you take your text to Word or to QuillBot, it will read it—sometimes, more not than often.
As for Grammarly normal in Scrivener, if you fix a word using the Scrivener dictionary, Grammarly disappears, but is easily brought back by clicking elsewhere, like into Notes or the Synopsis and then back into the editor.
And it seems Grammarly Premium and GrammarlyGO (when it works) are based on a different rules base, because one suggests an alternative to what the other corrects.
Another thing is if you tell Grammarly to go away for an hour, it throws its toys out the cot and slows your interface down for a solid minute. That’s invasive behaviour.