Q for Developers: is it possible to navigate through iOScriv with just a keyboard?

Hi there,

I have a question regarding use of an external keyboard with the iOS version of Scrivener. Considering the myriad keyboard shortcuts built into the app (and I’m grateful for that), was the app designed so that a user doesn’t have to touch the screen at all if the iPad/iPhone was connected to a keyboard? I tried to go completely touchscreen-free on iOScriv, but found I couldn’t do it entirely. For example, I was able to navigate through different documents in the binder but there doesn’t seem to be a way to get into the editor without touching the screen.

Any insight into the design philosophy of the external keyboard would be most appreciated. I love, love, LOVE this app. Thank you.

J.

Not a developer, but they did put this up as an answer to “what keyboard shortcuts exist in iOS Scrivener”. The answer to your question should be self-evident as you try to navigate the interface with those shortcuts as your guide.

scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb … s-gestures

Also, to see at least some of the shortcuts, press and hold the CMD key on your external keyboard; some will pop-up in an overlay. It’s context-sensitive, if I recall correctly, so only some of the relevant shortcuts for any given task will be available (such as when you are editing a document vs. viewing the cork board).

As for your specific example, CMD-O opens the document associated with the currently selected index card (in cork board mode) and puts you in edit mode. Maybe that will work if you’re just navigating the binder? I don’t have an external keyboard handy to test, so sorry in advance if that doesn’t work.