reading out load

Would it be possible to have a “pause” button in “speech”? Also, the ability to “cue” the “start speech” from a certain point in a document. I tend to spend a great deal of my day having the pdf in the top half of the split being read out to me while I write notes in the bottom half. If a certain section is a little complicated, it would be nice to just pause and review it. Currently, I am having to rely on Adobe Reader for that. It is no great pain to switch between the two programs but to have Scrivener do it all would be magic.

Also, a more refined “copy” from pdfs. Currently, if you attempt to copy text from a two column document it will copy across both columns rather than down one and then the next. I know this was a problem to all pdf readers but Adobe Reader 8 seems to have now solved that.

Maybe, a choice when asking to open in an external editor?

And, if at all possible, some kind of bibliography element would be marvellous. Currently using Bookends which is great but to have it all in one or some sort of direct import/export would be fantastic.

The above notwithstanding, it should be noted that this is an exceptional piece of software. I cannot begin to estimate how much pressure it has removed from a very, very complicated PhD.

Lol, not much then? :slight_smile: Probably about six months’ of solid development requested in one post - it might be a record! To address:

The “speech” feature is nothing to do with me. It is just a standard feature built into OS X text views, the same as you will find in TextEdit, so any improvements made to it will only come from Apple as they upgrade the OS, I am afraid. You can already play just a section by selecting only the text you want to hear before starting the speech.

Again, you have Apple to thank for this. Scrivener just uses the standard Apple PDF view that is showcased by Preview.app, and anything put on the pasteboard is all Apple code, not mine. “Blame nat me!” as Chaucer’s Miller said.

Scrivener cannot offer the full functionality of Finder, I am afraid. It will always launch in the external editor that is associated with the file by the system.

There is no way Scrivener can compete with dedicated applications, nor can it be all things to all people. I would like to offer better integration with Sente, Bookends and, um, the other biggie (forgot it), but I don’t know what that would look like and it will remain something for the distant future.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Best,
Keith

Dear Keith,

Thanks for taking the time to read the post. It is a privilege to have a personal response to the ideas. As I have said in other posts it is a brilliant piece of software and one that has become very important to me.

Thanks again, especially for the tip about “speech”.

No problem. And I forgot to welcome you to the forum - welcome! :slight_smile: I really do value all feedback.
Thanks and all the best,
Keith