Redefining Styles doesn't update the styles

Hello,
I have just created a document and used styles like “Heading 2” while doing it. At the end, I decided to make “heading 2” look differently, so I have redefined it and expected all the places that use “heading 2” in my document to now have this new style. There was even a hint that suggested that it will happen. But it did not. All the other paragraphs using “heading 2” style remained the same.

What is the problem here? What am I doing wrong?

Best wishes,
WildChaser

It is as yet hard to know what went wrong for you, because redefining a style indeed works just as you imagined it would. So, it seems we need more information about the steps you followed.

1. Put your insertion point in a paragraph that is of the style Heading 2. Confirm in the format bar that, yes, this paragraph shows as being of style Heading 2. Alter the format of the paragraph in some way —for example adjust something on the ruler bar or set it to double spacing or the like. Now, with your insertion point still in that paragraph, choose Redefine Style Based on Selection, and pick Heading 2 off the menu presented. Check to see if your other instances of Heading 2 paragraphs change likewise.

2. One thing that could possibly trip you up is if you had changed the style from a paragraph to a character style — this would be brought on by altering choices in the style definition dialog box. Not sure this would account for what you are seeing.

2 Likes

Thanks for your suggestion! I re-did the steps with Heading 2 again and realized my mistake - there was an “include font family” checkbox that I have left unchecked! And since the font family was the main difference, I just assumed nothing happened at all. But, to be fair, I also don’t understand the point of redefining styles that does not include font family…
Well. That’s cleared up now.
Again, thanks a lot.

You may only wish to reformat a certain type of paragraphs without having them of a common font. (Different indents, line spacing, anything but the font…)
Also, a style for which this is unchecked has its font determined by the section layout at compile. Where a style for which this is checked will be unresponsive of such.

1 Like

This simply can’t be done. Technically impossible.
(Just sayin’. – Not that it really matters anymore.)

1 Like

Lots of reasons. For instance, you might want to change the font family at Compile time, depending on whether a particular target market prefers Times Roman or Courier. Or, you might be using styles as semantic markup rather than as “formatting,” per se, for instance because you plan to post-process the file via LaTeX or something similar.

Scrivener is not a WYSIWYG editor. To some extent it assumes that your final output won’t look like what you see in the Editor.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. It does start to make sense now, I just need to spend more time with Scrivener and learn it. But yes, now I can see how letting the font family be determined at compile time can be beneficial.