Remove Uncompiled from Bottom Center Word Count

There are a million questions online that pertain to word count, but I haven’t found what I’m looking for. I just want the word count shown at the bottom center to ONLY include compiled documents when I click a folder with multiple docs. Right now it’s including my uncompiled documents, and even when I control click the word count, it doesn’t give me options to not include uncompiled docs, even though it gives me options to not include footnotes and comments, which I don’t care about. I can’t tell you how many hours I’ve spent googling and reading the impossibly dense manual. Something this basic should be much simpler.

Project / Statistics

Then use the Selected Documents tab. (2nd tab, same screenshot.)

Thanks for your reply. Does this mean I can’t use the word count on the bottom center for my current needs?

To my knowledge: you can’t. Not its current purpose.

Ok, thanks much for your help!

1 Like

No, you can’t. The bottom center count always contains the number of words in the current Editor pane, regardless of the contents of that pane. One document, fifty documents, contiguous or non-contiguous selection, compiled or not compiled, doesn’t matter.

The exception would be if you’ve selected a block of text in the Editor, at which time the count will be for the selected block.

Might it be possible with a collection created from a search for * with Excluded documents excluded then using that collection?

Yes, if you select the files in that Collection (in the Binder) and view it as a scrivenings. You’d search for * and Included documents.

Another way to populate a Scrivenings session with only compiled output (which would secondarily show a word count for only that, given how this works) is to use the Navigate ▸ Open ▸ with Compilable Subdocuments, with the folder selected in the binder.

I wouldn’t say that in practice that is any more practical than using Statistics, as suggested above, if the sole purpose is to get a word count. Whether to use an off the cuff tool or a collection depends more on how often you need to focus on a part of the draft with approach, vs the whole draft.

As a side note: almost every question involving why can’t the footer bar do more magic renders down to performance as an answer. This thing has to keep up with your typing in real time with potentially tens of thousands of words around the cursor. Stripping out inline annotations, documents based on whether they compile, or other such things that require calculation would mean typing lag.