Removing revision colours only in export

Greetings,

I am asking a question that, strangely, I’ve never needed to ask before, despite using Scrivener essentially since it has existed.

I extensively use the Revision Mode markup for editorial revisions, and removing revision colour highlights in the project is, as ever, easily done.

However, I the final stages of revision of a MS I routinely export to various e-formats in order to have read-throughs of chapters and such in other visual formats, in order to see how they ‘feel’ on an iPad, Kindle, etc.

I would very much like to know if it is possible (in the Scrivener macOS app) to remove revision colours as an export override, so that the exported ePub/PDF/whatever file contains only standard black text, but the revision highlights remain in the Scrivener master project itself. Can this be done? I don’t wish to remove the colours from the main Scrivener file, as I continue to use them to track editorial changes and such; but they are distracting when attempting to proof-read a file in an export format (exporting to a Word file isn’t a problem: simply selecting all the text in the exported file and changing the font colour effectively does this; but it is not really possible when exporting directly to e-reader formats).

I would be extremely grateful to know if this is possible.

Cheers, T.

(Latest version of Scrivener for macOS, employed in tandem with iOS version synced over Dropbox.)

I’m a little confused. My compiles have always been separate documents, so the original Scrivener project remains untouched. Which of course is essential if you want to compile to multiple formats.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for your note, but it doesn’t really seem to relate to what I’m looking for. I’ll try to clarify:

(a) Using Revision Mode marks up the text entered into Scrivener with the assigned revision colours.

(b) On normal export (into whatever format), these revision colours are preserved (even if using Font Override in the export settings); meaning that the end format, be it an ePub, Word, Kindle or whatever other file, will have these revision colours also present in the text. In a Word file these can be manually edited out, but not so with the eBook formats.

© The only option of which I am aware at present is to remove the Revision Mode colours in the Scrivener file itself, using the associated setting from Formatting; but this means that the master project loses the Revision Mode record in order to compile straight (i.e. uncoloured) text.

(d) What I am asking after is whether there is a way to (i) maintain the revision colours within the Scrivener Project [i.e. not remove them all], while (ii) somehow configuring the export settings to remove the colours on export, so that the exported product isn’t multi-coloured.

Cheers, T.

(NOTE: I would suspect that, if this is possible, it would likely be through some sort of configuration of the Font Override settings in the export set up window; but I’ve yet to figure out how to do it. A simple tick box to ‘Do not include revision mode colours in export’ doesn’t, so far as I know, (yet) exist.)

In the Compile dialog, in the Transformations panel, try checking “Remove text color,” if it isn’t already. It worked for me when I tried it with revision colors just now.

If I’ve misunderstood your question, I apologize. :slight_smile: Ignore me.

This sounds, indeed, like precisely and exactly what I was looking for — I will give it a try as soon as I’m back at the desktop and report back.

As is so often the case, there are very obvious answers to my questions that are ‘staring me in the face’, even though I’ve been using Scrivener since its inception and have published all my books with it. Never a time when there isn’t something still to learn!

Cheers, T.

Just to confirm that this is, indeed, precisely the setting I was looking for; thank you so much for pointing me towards it.

Cheers, T.

You’re welcome! Glad I could help.

Hello everybody,
Let’s say I have THREE REVISIONS with different colors: is it possible to export the .scriv document REMOVING TWO REVISIONS AND THEIR COLOR, but keeping intact in the export the THIRD REVISION WITH ITS COLORS?
Hope you can help.

I’m not sure that you can do that within Scrivener; others may have a better idea, but …

I use Nisus Writer Pro as my wor processor. What I wold do is compile to RTF with all three revision colours intact, then in NWP “Find All” text in each of the revision colours I didn’t want in turn and “Remove Colour”.

I imagine you could do the same in Word, etc.

Mark

You can do the same sort of thing in Scrivener by using the menu command Edit > Find > Find by formatting…

The problem is that it’s not a temporary removal, but permanent. I don’t know of any way to do selective color removal in compile; it’s all or nothing so far as I’m aware.

Of course you could do a backup or make snapshots before you did your massive revision color removal and roll back afterwards—but it may be easier to compile with colors intact and then do a selective removal in another tool (Word, Nisus Writer, Open Office—dealer’s choice) as Xiamenese suggested if you want to retain those colors in your Scrivener original.

As noted above, there is just one checkbox in compile for stripping out colour—there are no settings relating to revision markings in general. Most people either want editing marks in the output or they simply do not.

It is pretty easy to selectively strip out levels in the editor (again, permanently):

1. Select the revision level in the format menu.
  2. Return to the Revision Mode submenu and select the “Remove Current Revision” menu command.

The idea to use snapshots to preserve edit markings is a good one. But another approach if you feel comfortable juggling multiple project copies around would be:

1. Use File/Save As… command to create a temporary copy of the project.
  2. Select the Draft folder and enable Scrivenings mode (might take a moment if it’s a large work).
  3. Use the above instructions to selectively strip out two of the three markings.
  4. Compile using that copy.

Close and trash the project once you’re done, then reopen the original with all three levels of markings still intact.