Resetting lists of entire project at once?

How does one do it with a few actions: resetting lists of entire project at once?

There are instructions for bulk usage in this post. As noted there, Scrivenings mode is your answer, just make sure nothing is selected, otherwise the command only looks within the selection so you can be more surgical about it if you want.

Many thanks for the link!

Can one use the redo command to get the state before? Is there anything that might go wrong badly / not reversible?

Can I mark / select all the items in the binder and then execute Format ▸ List ▸ Reset Indents to Defaults to fix all the lists?

You should make sure you have a current backup before any project-wide operation.

1 Like

Yes, I’ll do, thank you.

As this is a text editing command, the cursor does need to be in the editor (the command won’t even be active until you do). We’d have put it over in the Documents ▸ Convert submenu if it was meant to work on binder/corkboard/etc. selections.

So what exactly do I have to do?

1. Select the stuff in the binder you want to update.
  2. Switch to Scrivenings view mode.
  3. Click into the text editor.
  4. Use the command.

Many thanks!

Does that mean in the editor all documents, folders have to be shown then? And the cursor has to be placed just in one of them (between two dotted lines)? And that effects all items?

I think, yes, basically. I don’t quite understand what all you mean about all folders being shown and all that. But it is very easy to test this if you are unsure. Just make two throw-away items in your binder, put two lists into them, mess with indents a bit on the ruler, and try the described procedure. Does the cursor need to be here, or there? It should be easy to find out by trying.

I had understood this command were for courrpted lists only, (kind of) a stopgap measure. But obviously it isn’t.

I don’t quite understand what all you mean about all folders being shown and all that.

Very sorry for that. When you select all the items in the binder in Scrivening mode is the content of all of the folders, docs not shown in an editor?

How could I move 10 list items together to the next list lever or a lower level?

What “all that” else didn’t you understand? Sorry for the bad expression.

Ah, I see. No there isn’t much by way of corruption, in the sense where the list is so damaged that the only way to fix it is to reset the lines back to normal text, and then back to the list format of your choice (but when it happens, that is how to fix it). I’ve seen a little of that when copying and pasting between word processors, and it’s not even the sort of thing you’d notice until you go to make a new list item. Between Mac and PC I’ve sometimes seen marker duplication, but this isn’t difficult to fix from what I’ve seen. You can just delete the duplicate marker(s), as it is normal text at that point. What specifically are you trying to solve here?

What this command is meant to fix are cases where editing between Mac, iOS and PC causes indent variance between levels, or from projects edited in older versions of Scrivener for Windows, where indents could get messed up at deeper levels.

I.e. all it does is reset the indents on each line to the appropriate level in accordance with the list level for that line.

When you select all the items in the binder in Scrivening mode is the content of all of the folders, docs not shown in an editor?

Everything that you select in the sidebar has its text content shown, even if it is empty. Are you saying you are not seeing everything in the list that you selected?

What specifically are you trying to solve here?

Very confusing for me. I think I read somewhere here that this command is only used to repair broken/corrupted lists. The lists that I want to fix with this command are actually broken, they are unusables. All of these list were not working.

Everything that you select in the sidebar has its text content shown, even if it is empty.

So if in the binder 100 folders, docs are selected the editor shows the text of 100 folders, docs in the editor? And one has to put the cursor in one of them, between the dotted lines? Then, after executing the command, the lists of ALL the docs, folders are resetted?

How could I move 10 list items together to the next list lever or a lower level?

I don’t have an opinion on this at this particular time. Just letting you know.

OK, that’s good to know, thank you. I’ll make a note. Maybe at a later date time.

1 Like