Restart Numbering and Include Right Tab on Structured Levels via Compiler

Using only compile aginst a structured setting ([L1],[L2]), can I

(1) Restart numbering when I hit a new L2 after an new L1
(2) Align 8., 9., and 10. at the dot, vertically? (Enumeration is inserted as a prefix to L2.)

and gives to RB. [L2, file]
8. Invite all adjunct faculty and admin (EF, SD) to
participate in commencement before May 1.
Provost [L1, folder]
9. Reserve all rooms through Jan B for church admin calendar
10. Fellowship Hall–Thursday early afternoon (for breakfast

Thanks! k

The Help ▸ List of All Placeholders cheat sheet will help you out here. Search that document for “reset” to find the placeholders you would use to reset a counter type to 1, or even a specific counter stream.

Now in practical usage you probably won’t want that reset code anywhere in your binder content. You can see how it is used by taking a look at the guts of the “Paperback” compile format. Specifically, in the Section Layouts pane, take a look at the Title Options tab for “Chapter Heading”. You’ll find a chapter numbering stream followed by a reset code for the scene numbering stream. Thus with each chapter, the scene count resets to 1. The scene numbering itself is found in the title prefix for the “Numbered Section” layout.

As for formatting, that’s just a matter of how you use tab stops I would think. The Decimal type tab stop may work for you here, but if not, a <TAB><$n:number>.<TAB> title prefix, where the section title is inserted after that, should get you pretty close to what you want, if you go back into the Formatting tab and set up the tab stops to be first right aligned, and secondly left aligned to start the section title.

Hi AmberV!
Thanks for the reply. I certainly agree that I don’t want reset (or any other) codes in the binder. I’m definitely trying to control all output through compile alone.
(1) I have both L1 and L2 set up as “text” in the compiler. Would tabs behave differently if I set up L1 as “Title”?
(2) I tried quite a number of tab/indent settings in various places accessible within the compiler, without success. You are showing “TAB<$n:number>.TAB” I did not find “tab” in the list of placeholders. Is it a placeholder? I did not try tab that way because I did not find it as a placeholder.
(3) I’m trying to get the number on the same line as the text. If I select “Place prefix after title” I get the number on the same line as the text, but I can’t get the tabbing correct. If I deselect that option, the number appears above the text and my decimals line up in accord with the formatting that I set up.
(4) I experimented with several types of <$n> without success.
Thanks, k

Sorry for the lack of clarity, by <TAB> I meant typing in the actual character with the Tab key on your keyboard. So the result of that would be a blue arrow in the Prefix/Suffix field. With tabs you can go back into the Formatting pane and adjust the tab stops on the ruler to position the various elements separated by tabs.

I’m trying to get the number on the same line as the text. If I select “Place prefix after title” I get the number on the same line as the text, but I can’t get the tabbing correct.

As it is part of the title element itself, I would consider using the Title Prefix field in the Title Options tab, instead of the overall section layout prefix.

In this example, we have a tab on either side of the numbering token, as well as a dot following the number. Over in the Formatting tab, if you look at the ruler above the text, you’ll see two small angle symbols. The first indicates a right-aligned tab-stop, so the content is flush against the marker at the dot, and fills to the left of that point. So “20.” and “1.” would both be aligned on the dot. The second angle marker is a left-aligned tab-stop and positions the Section Title, with content filling to the right of it. Thus that gap in between the two angle markers stays clear.

The reset token on the other hand can be put anywhere. I like to put it in the Title Suffix field to keep it clear of other stuff, but anywhere is fine. It doesn’t actually print anything where you put it, it is more of an invisible command that resets <$n:scene> or whatever you need to reset for L2, with <$rst_scene>.

I’ll have to study on this a bit more, Amber.