Scholarly Writing Tools Survey: Scrivener 4th!

This is an epic survey of >20,000 academics on the tools they use for research/writing etc. They had Scrivener on their writing tools list, and it came 4th (554 users):

Screen Shot 2016-08-28 at 18.35.24_SMALL.png
dashboard101innovations.silk.co/page/Write
dashboard101innovations.silk.co

The question allowed multiple selection, so numbers are not exclusive (i.e. most Scrivener users also put Word). You can drill down to see what tools individual people use with Scrivener (Word and LaTeX seem to win out). You can drill down to e.g. work out where most Scrivener users come from, when they published their first paper etc.

I of course can’t believe > 19,000 academics can write without using Scrivener at all, poor poor souls!!! :open_mouth: Word+Endnote is still the 2 ton Gorilla in this field. Interesting is the rise in collaborative tools like Overleaf (online LaTeX editor, very cool), these are great tools but uptake is still glacially slow…

I wasn’t sure where to put this post, it is general Feedback specific to Scrivener but platform agnostic… I think it will be useful to L & L so I didn’t want to put it in “And now for that Latte”…

Shame that the lag on that site makes it unusable… Would have been interested to see the breakdown by discipline.

Well the analysis occurs in real time on the 20,000+ respondents dataset, so I think you just have to be a bit patient as it calculates the graphs…

Well I waited out the panel on the right with the open-ended answers, then waited out loading the disciplinary filters, so after about two minutes I could select a filter. Waited a bit more then got a meaningless message that an error has occurred please try again later. Note to self: do not use silk,co for any data visualization needs.