Scriptwriting mode: add a New Tex which behaves as in scriptwriting mode

Hello,

I have chosen the US stage play and I am writing in scriptwriting mode. Here I can use the “+” button or “ENTER” to add a “New Scene” or a “New Text”,
If I add a New Text the new document behaves as if I were in scriptwriting format, so I have to use CMD+8 to establish the text mode. Nothing important, but I think it is a bug, maybe just a semantic one.

The mode for a new item in the binder is determined by the mode of the item you were last using, for the sake of consistency and contextual probabilities. For example if you click in the Research folder on a standard text item and hit ⌘N the result will be another standard text item—very likely what you will want, given the context. After that you click on the last scene you wrote and press ⌘N to start a new one—now in script mode and again contextually/semantically appropriate.

Thank you for your reply.
I understand the CMD+N logic, but not in the case when I select the drop down PLUS menu on the bar, it even says “press and hold for more options”. If I am in a “SCENE” and I click+hold+select “new text” on the PLUS menu I get a sort of scene (in the bottom right I can see the list of elements (scene heading, characters… )

Perhaps the point of confusion is in the fact that a new scriptwriting document is a “new text”, that is what ⌘N is linked to. There is no “New Script” item. Though I suppose if you really wanted one you could create a document template for that. Document templates do not follow the ordinary rules and will always be script mode or regular mode, depending on what the original is set to.

I’m wondering why play scripts are written in a different format from the format in Scrivener

Most script formats have very strict formatting rules, and make use of font and layout choices that emulate typewritten text. The ultimate effect is that the resulting text can be displayed (with the right font settings) even as a purely plain-text file with no formatting at all, strictly using whitespace (empty lines, spaces, etc.) to achieve to consistent look anywhere you go, from digital to paper. This also results in a more consistent composition environment, where one can predict with fairly decent accuracy how many pages they have written.

So while you are free to change Scrivener’s default settings and use, say, 18pt Optima to write your script and then have that all converted to standard fonts and sizes when you compile, most people do want an authoring environment that matches the output.