Scriptwriting mode not obeying section layouts

I wrote a script using stage play project format. All elements in the script are correctly tagged (character & dialogue, scene action…)

However, during a compilation process, assigned section layouts are not obeyed, even though they are correctly associated with section types and “override text and notes formatting” is selected for each section layout.

If would to change the script elements to “general text”, then all the section layouts are obeyed, but I would loose all the scripting goodness for the sake of formatting the output, which defeats the whole point of scrivener.

Also, If i change font in the section layout that is obeyed, but I cannot set the font size there. Is there any workaround here?



I think you are not supposed to override text and notes formatting.
I am pretty certain that compiling script documents, you are somewhat limited in what you can do outside the editor itself.

But in the styles panel of the compiler, if you click the cog (or “…” – I don’t know which it is for Mac) in the upper right corner, you can export the script elements as styles for post-processing in a wysiwyg text editor.

I don’t think that is something we ever anticipated anyone wanting to do! And I don’t think there is a way around it either, as most processing is completely shut down when scriptwriting text is encountered during compile, and then turned back on if the paragraph doesn’t match an element (General, as you say). Even styles will ignore scripted text.

In most cases you would want the script parts of the work to remain strictly formatted, while allowing the “General” areas around them to change in accordance with formatting settings.

That said if all you want to change is the font family, you can use the Font selector at the very top of the middle preview column in the compile overview. It will normally say, “Determined by Section Layout”. I think that’s the only thing that will directly mess with script formatting, on the Mac anyway.

@Vincent_Vincent : But in the styles panel of the compiler, if you click the cog (or “…” – I don’t know which it is for Mac) in the upper right corner, you can export the script elements as styles for post-processing in a wysiwyg text editor.

Yes, either that or just open it up in LibreOffice or whatever, Select All, and apply Body if one really wants to blow away all formatting. Having the compiler export “Character” and “Action” styles though, will provide the most flexibility.

Thank you so much for your help, @AmberV and @Vincent_Vincent. Really appreciate it!

@AmberV it would not be the first time that I do something no one sane anticipated…

Global font select in preview column does work, and if I could only set up a font size there too, it would solve so many problems for me!

I know how difficult it is to retain strict formatting across different mediums (Html, epub…), especially for the European stage play where you have separate columns for characters and dialogue. That is why, now when I am ready to share my script, I have to generate strongly formatted documents (PDF). But I have to create several profiles (booklet, a4 print, screen reading, kindle, small screen) depending on the preferences of my readers. If my poor friends have to endure my writing, the least I can do is to make it as painless as possible.

I am able to achieve almost everything I need from the compile menu (using facing pages or not, margins, font face, etc…) but because each of these requires different font size I have to reformat the whole doc, which is a bit clunky, does not have undo and it bit me more than once.

All this being said, thank you so much for making this amazing piece of software. That is probably why i feel like this. I feel that this one little thing breaks the very spirit of this app, this wonderful separation of the final output from the writing environment.

Once again,
Thanks all!!!

1 Like

Yes, I was about to say, that is an option that you could perhaps streamline a little and make safer. My thinking here is that you create your variant stage play formats and save them into the Scriptwriting submenu (there is an option for that in the lower left of the Script Settings panel, where you would change the core font settings), so they can be easily swapped between. That part is all straight-forward.

To make it safe though, you don’t do this on your master project, you use File ▸ Save As..., to create a disposable copy of the project. Now you can apply the A4 setting or whichever, compile, and then move on to the next. If something goes wrong in this disposable project, you can just trash it, go back to the original, save as again, and start from where you left off. That way the original stays “correct” and doesn’t change its core formatting. You only do this to compile, so all edits remain in the central master copy. The Save-As copy is only created to compile, and discarded once finished.

Not quite as handy as flipping between Formats when compiling, sure, but not too much extra effort at that.