Scriv 3.1.5.0 - Can no longer load web pages

Was working in Scrivener this morning, and was prompted for an update. After update, I can no longer load web pages - insists I go to Microsoft Store to get an app. There doesn’t seem to be an option or preference for specifying the application to use to open web pages.

Yes, I came across this as well this morning, from another report. I’ve checked the error messages Scrivener writes to the log, and it looks like maybe the web viewer component is not configured correctly. So hopefully it is an easy fix.

I don’t know why it isn’t suggesting a reasonable viewer for MHT files either, as Edge should be able to show them just fine, which would make for a decent workaround. Well you can get to that point anyway by using the Navigate ▸ Open ▸ in External Editor shortcut or menu command.

I can confirm this, too, following the update and my workaround in the meantime is to click the link that appears at the bottom of the, now blank, page in Scrivener.

Look forward to a fix since it defeats the purpose somewhat having to open in an external editor :thinking:

Doc

We’ve fixed this problem. If you’d like to get an early look, there is a beta build available (I’d say it’s a safe beta to use as it only contains a few bug fixes like this). To try it out, go into File ▸ Options..., and under General: Startup tab, tick the Check for beta updates setting. Save your settings, and then run the Help ▸ Check for Updates menu command.

The official fix should be out soon, and you will be upgraded to it when it comes out, even if you’re trying the beta.

3 Likes

Works for me! Thanks for fixing this so quickly.

1 Like

Yeah - fyi I don’t use edge and pretty much cripple all Windows “phone home” functionality because Microsoft. Hence I was surprised there was no feature to specify which app I’d like to use, like Brave or Firefox.

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation.

I haven’t actually tested the default association bit, as I run my virtual machine extremely minimalist with pretty much only Scrivener installed. As I understand it though, the Open in External Editor command should be using the system default (for MHT files). Are you saying that if you double-click on an MHT file in Explorer it opens in Brave or Firefox? I wasn’t even aware those opened them (maybe there are extensions?).

That aside, the software does allow an override to the system default. Right-click on the button in the footer bar to see a list of software that has registered itself for that file extension. This should be a persistent global background setting once you change it.

I don’t use MHT files, but I created one, and then (from explorer) ask to open with another app, and specify Chrome for example, then the association goes from Edge to Chrome, and if I double click that file from explorer it opens in Chrome. The same happens with Brave and Firefox. That’s why it was way curious that Windows just said “go to the app store” to open this, since it should have already known how, unless (as you remarked,) the open configuration was incorrect - I suppose Windows didn’t understand what it was being asked to open.

Oh! I see what you mean, no that “Go to the store” message had nothing to do with anything other than the software being in a state of malfunction at that point. It wasn’t even trying to load an MHT file I don’t think. At least I got a completely different result from Windows when I actually did, by clicking the open in external editor button.

9 posts were split to a new topic: [3.1.5.1 beta 1] Crashing when loading any web view

Thank you - that worked for me.