Scriv 3, the Forum and the new 'Flatter' look

Your folks must have paid out for the gene-upgrade package. Envious. Very.

I struggle with the current font, especially, seeing, or, not, seeing, the, commas, as, full, stops.

But it’s just a forum, in the end. Content, content, content. I want content, and I am content.

I cannot tell the difference between commas and periods with this font. The font also looks as if it’s written using a pen that’s beginning to run out of ink. Parts of each letter seem faded, other parts seem darker; mostly at crossed lines and on tops and bottoms of round letters. Example below. I’m sure it looks better on my Mac system, which renders fonts better than my Work PC does. Note how the bold labels look sharp, but the non-bold data looks barely there.
Faded font.PNG

I need to check in the mirror, but I think I must be an Airedale as well. We bark the same language.

Rdale…

Rrrroughroofrrrrummmphfffyapyapruff.

For the humans… if that’s a screen cap the issue is with your display rendering and LCD mode. Resent your screen resolution to something standard and recalibrate the monitor.

It always amazes me how succinct dog is compared to human…

Rrrr? Rrrrowrrow. snortsigh Grrrrrrr.

Never have I had to do that on a Mac, and the only Windows machines I have at my disposal are delivered to me by my IT department. The laptop they gave me is even worse, but as far as I’m able to comprehend the Display settings in the Control Panel, I’m at max/native resolution, which is “1920 x 1080 (recommended)”. According to Windows’ help system, that’s how I get the best possible resolution.

I did find that I didn’t have ClearType turned on. But after calibrating that…nothing changes. See, this is why I’ve not touched Linux in an age; I’m so very done with tinkering with the OS just to get fonts looking good in a browser. Chrome’s terrible, IE’s marginally better (but look at that ‘2’ in the number of posts from my screen cap… it looks the same in both, Firefox… actually looks readable. I don’t recall changing any settings in that browser. I can even see the commas in that browser.

WTF, man. W. T. F.

GRRF. starts chewing on the monitor

Rrrmohwoofrrrrummmmph

Aka: this is why many IT teams have fled from Windows and Linux development systems to Mac over the years.

Windows has its place. I use it everyday. But I WORK on Mac. It’s just how it is.

Check list:
Are your browsers set to 100% zoom or something else?
Do you have the font installed? You may have to do that manually. We’ve found that Firefox seems to load dynamically much better then chrome or Satan.
Chang resolution. Check. Change back. Use better resolution.

That’s right from our help desk :slight_smile:

Is that the same as “beer goggles”? :wink:

Sorry, couldn’t resist. :wink:

For the record, running Linux there are no issues at all with the fonts and display, other than those which are by design. That is, the low contrast and the ambiguous font. But that’s easy to manage. I now have a nice set of overrides making things readable again. Though a lot uglier, but that matters a lot less.

Jesper

Ouch. If the Forum looked like that to me, I’d certainly be upset. It reminds me of how text on my screen used to look on occasion when I was still on Windows and it did seem to be - I’m no expert whatsoever - related to the resolution that had been set (as Jaysen says).

wistful puppydog eyes

It looks pretty good on Chrome at 150% zoom, not so much at 100%

That has to be done manually? What kind of nonsense is this? If the cost of a better looking web page is fiddling with the innards of a webpage, just so I can find a font, and then probably not be able to install it on my locked-down system, then I’m already done. Besides, I have been down this road before, and it ends with something far worse and more systemic than when I started. Feels like an echo of the Linux X-11 configs of X-mas past. I’ve got actual work I should be doing anyway. 150% zoom it is!

Thanks. I think I’ll just move back to Firefox if it continues to bother me, or if I really need to be able to see which punctuation is being used.

Technically no. And you are right, many of us ran from this after years of thinking “open is bettererishmaybe”. What I would suggest is that IF you are on a locked down system, there may be issues with dynamic font loading for webkit based browsers. Mozilla based systems might be skirting the issue by not assuming the OS will support the dynamic load and doing the heavy lifting themselves. That’s what I would suggest. I may have some data do back that up.

the fact that it looks good at 150 tells me you are not getting the proper scaling of the font. This goes back to the above statement as well as some grumblings about os choices and mobile focus programming methods. For you sanity, I would recommend using firefox for you Lit and Lat browsing. Only for your own sanity. Assuming you still have some. If not… welcome to the special room they keep clean for Mr K and me.

Coming back to this to share my solution should anyone happen upon it.

The underlying issue of webpage legibility is captured by WCAG, the international standard for IT Accessibility. Those standards include color contrast, etc. Effra-Light is very thin, which affects its legibility. The term “Light” refers to the font having a light font-weight, meaning its font-weight is lower (with lower contrast) than the CSS weight of 400. This affects readability of the forums and blog, especially for those who are vision-impaired. Having just crossed the 50 yard line, my eyes are quite a bit worse than they were just 5 years ago.

Effra-Medium does not have the same problem, but it is a heavier font. I gather that the Effra family is meant to be used in headings and small text blocks rather than body text. But, that’s an L&L style choice.

My solution was to install Stylus and use the code below on the L&L website. The HTML portion uses the industry better practice for serif-based font reset, and the headings the sans-serif equivalent. I actually use it on a few other websites. Stylish is the Firefox equivalent. I have a couple other tweaks added I use.

I opted for Serif since that is more readable, similar to what is used on Medium.

html {
    font-family: Cambria,"New York", Georgia,"Times New Roman",Times,serif !important;
}
code {
    font-family: "Fira Code" !important;
}
h1, h2, h3 { 
    font-family: -apple-system,system-ui,"Segoe UI",Roboto,Lato,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif !important;
}
a.postlink {
    text-decoration: underline;
    color: blue;
}

ux.stackexchange.com/questions/ … eadability

Stylus: chrome.google.com/webstore/deta … gmne?hl=en