Scrivener - Problem compiling books

Hello All,

Glad the Scrivener has moved to a 64bit version as I have just upgraded the computer to the latest Linux Mint 17 with XFCE desktop.

All is working very well except for one vital area - I’m unable to compile anything.
The compile leads to the dialog asking for a file name to save. When that is completed a little dialog flashes by without stopping to show its contents. Then everything is locked - the focus has not been returned and the compile button is inactive. The only way out is close dialog and a message saying the application is busy.

As this is a new Linux installation I assume there is a dependency missing somewhere. I it is unfortunate Scrivener does not leave a note saying who did the dasterly deed when it dies.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Or is there a list of prerequsite modules on the forum I have missed?



I can confirm this as a bug. The problems is exactly as described.

However, it does not occur when compiling to all file formats. At least .rtf seems to work, while .odt and .pdf lead to the bug described.

Correction: for me the program locks completely, and the compile dialog cannot be closed.

ETA: compiling to PDF also hangs Scrivener for me.

Epub worked fine for me. So did mobi. (64-bit.)

Y’all trying to make a kindle book? It needs kindlegen installed somewhere. I’ve got kindlegen downloaded (32-bit only it looks like…) But when I try to point Scrivener to its location, I can’t select it because it’s expecting a file with a “.” on it. (Your choices are “.,” not all files.)

Workaround: make a simlink to KindleGen as “ln -s /path/to/KindleGen KindleGen.” (The period’s important until Tiho or Lee fixes it. :wink: )

Thanks, Garpu! I have fixed the KindleGen file selection filter. It will be available with the next release. :slight_smile:

Awesome! :slight_smile:

Is there a trick to getting compile to pdf working with the new PDF handling in Scrivener 1.7.2?

Under Linux we compile to PDF via Qt. Most probably due to some recent PDF changes under Windows(which supports multiple PDF exporters) some of the Linux PDF export functionality is having issues. I will have a look at it and try to fix it guys. Unfortunately I cannot promise that it will be fixed within a day or two. I will keep you informed about my progress here. Unfortunately the new page counting functionality(to exchange the $pagecount tags) is using a PDF compile behind the scenes(even when compiling to RTF) so you might experience crashes even when compiling to RTF only for example. Sorry for the inconvenience, but we will try to have a look at it.

The short answer to you post, garpu is: No, I cannot imagine a trick to make PDF compile work in v1.7.2.2, but some magic coming in the next version. :slight_smile:

Cool, thanks. :slight_smile:

I am happy to let you all know that compiling and using PDF under Scrivener for Linux is already fixed. We will provide you with a new build very soon.

Woohoo! Works for me! :smiley: