Scrivener 2 cheaper?


My computer can’t run scrivener 3.

I’m coming to the end of my trial period and want to purchase. But it seems I don’t have the option to purchase scrivener 2 (which would logically be cheaper than 3). Is there some way to do this?

Assuming you’re running version 2.9, then the version 3 license will work for it as well. When you eventually have to upgrade your computer, that same license will allow you to run v3 at no additional charge.

Indeed, you can buy a Scrivener 3 licence and use it with Scrivener 2.9 if you so wish, provided your machine can run 2.9. However, it’s important to note that we do not support Scrivener 2.x any more except for users who purchased it prior to Scrivener 3’s release, and Scrivener 2 will not receive any more updates or bug fixes. For this reason, we do not sell Scrivener 2.x any more and do not promote it. We only made 2.9 run with a Scrivener 3 licence so that users upgrading to Scrivener 3 can use both versions during a transition period if they so wish. So if you do decide to buy a Scrivener 3 licence for use in Scrivener 2.9, it’s important to take all of this into consideration and to realise that you do so at your own risk.

All the best,

Ok thanks,

Is there some information about the “transition period” and how long it is likely to last? I hope to get a few more years out of my mac. I’m asking to understand if Scrivener 2.9 will suddenly become non-operative at some point in the near future.

Oh, it won’t become non-operative - that would be most unethical because it is there as the final version for users of Scrivener 2 as well as for users of both 2 and 3. By a “transition period”, I only meant that people upgrading from 2 to 3 may want to keep time-sensitive projects in 2 while they finish them so that they aren’t learning new features while trying to finish an urgent project. The 2.9 build allows them to use the same licence in both. But a registered copy of Scrivener 2.9 will continue to work forever, so long as it’s run on a machine that supports it.

The main issue for older systems, though, is that the frameworks we use for activation don’t work well on some older systems. What version of macOS are you running?

Ok I understand and that’s a relief!

I’m not sure what is meant by “frameworks we use for activation”. You mean that if I wait to upgrade that I may have trouble transferring my licence at a later date?

I’m currently using 10.11.6, which seems to be the highest I can go with it. The Mac is still trotting along nicely as long as I don’t put too much in the saddlebags. It has a Adobe Creative Cloud allergy.