Scrivener 3.3.1 build 15588 for Mac Always Reproducibly Crashes Loading a Specific Project

i have tried reporting this Mac bug for days to mac.support@literatureandlatte.com, but I receive no acknowledgement.

The Mac application always crashes when I load one specific project. I cannot review or edit this project.

This crash bug started when I updated to 3.3.1 build 15586. Today, when I started the app, I got an update notice for build 15588. I applied that but it did not fix the crash bug. I have saved the latest Apple crash report and am will the share the project (a 133K word novel) because it is 100% reproducible. I can edit the project under iOS, but not under Mac. I use dropbox syncing. I can load other projects on the Mac, just not this specific project.

Product: Scrivener (3.3.1)
Platform: macOS (12.6)
Name: Robert Blum

Bug description:
After installing new version of Scrivener, 3.3.1, one project crashes. (Others don’t.) Can’t edit my project.

Steps to reproduce:
Open Scrivener.
Open Project.
Project displays and immediately crashes.

Additional comments:
I’ve re-synced onto my iPad. (Using Dropbox for this.) Then tried opening again on Mac. No difference. Restarted computer. No difference. Keeps crashing. I’ve sent 8 crash reports to Apple.

Please check your junk mail. You should have received an automated response almost instantly.

If it’s just this project, please reset the project display settings, as explained here:
https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb/macos-troubleshooting/resetting-a-projects-display-settings

You might also consider reverting to Scrivener 3.2.3. There’ve been a few reports suggesting that we may have inadvertently introduced an incompatibility with older versions of Mac OS. If you’d like to revert, you can find the older version here:
https://www.literatureandlatte.com/downloads/Scrivener_3.2.3.zip

Nothing in junk mail when I sent to Mac support directly. I definitely checked junk and trash. You may wish to check from an outside email address yourself.

The tech support form definitely fails from Safari. If you want the mail trackback email I received for that, I can upload that.

I will try the settings advice, but I am indeed on a back release of MacOS (1 back) so I’m betting on reverting to the old release will do the trick.

I didn’t know I could revert. Good to know!

I will report in whether or not any of this fixes it.

Thanks.

I did this: Manual reset if won’t open.

That fixed it! Yay! Thank you.

I surprised it worked, but happy none the less. You can close this problem report.