Scrivener 3 : Date + File transfer

Hello :smiley:

I’m sorry if my subject is in the wrong place in advance. I didn’t know which category was most appropriate for my subject.

I come to you for information about Scrivener 3 for Windows.

First of all, since last year we have an approximate release date (I suspect the answer but you never know)?

Second, the main reason for my message. I can’t wait for Scrivener 3 to be released so I can start my writing project. Unfortunately, the release of Scrivener 3 is taking longer and longer and my personal problems mean that I have to embark on my writing project to have a chance to get out of it.

My main question is this: Can I start my project on Scrivener 1 and transfer it to Scrivener 3 when it is released? Won’t that cause problems or risk losing part or all of my project?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Yes.

No.

It will be as simple as it has been for Mac users. You just open the project in the new version of Scrivener, get a question if you want to update the format, you answer yes, and that’s it. :slight_smile:

Thank you for your very quick answer. :smiley:

And there are no features or new features on Scrivener 3 that are worth waiting to start a project on version 3 and not version 1.9?

Nope! No more procrastinating for you. :wink:

In all seriousness though, sure there will be new things you can do, but you don’t need any of them to start writing, and none of them will invalidate what you can do now. The upgrade path we designed is quite smooth, discarding very little of whatever time you spend on current projects. Most of the stuff that one might consider “wasted time” would be very particular compile settings (most of them will import into 3.0 anyway), all which is a long way off from the start of a new book. Worry about that later.

Thank you very much for your very reassuring answer. :smiley:

In that case, I’ll probably go to the register and start work.

At worst, if ever there are problems with the transfer, I suppose I could save everything from a copied and pasted. In any case, very anxious to finally have Scrivener 3 on Windows. :laughing:

Thanks again for everything :mrgreen:

That would be highly unlikely. The sort of things that might get lost that I was referring to above are more along the lines of esoteric checkboxes and weird ways of coercing the compiler to do things, that no longer work and need to be redone. As for the text you type, the keywords you use, the references you make in the sidebar, the synopsis—don’t worry about that kind of stuff!

And as the beta improves it may reach a point where you could start using it early, too. You’ll have a free upgrade once it is out, so there is no harm in transitioning whenever you (and it) are ready.

Thank you for your reassuring answers. I bought Scrivener earlier. By the time I get Scrivener, version 3 may already be out but at least I would have saved time by learning the bigger one. :laughing:

Thanks again for everything and your great work. :mrgreen: