Scrivener 3 Windows Release

Please devs and support team, don’t listen to the few drolls swirling around the otherwise very friendly and tight forum. I am very happy to use the beta version which helps me tremenduously in my daily work. Please take your time developing the software. Rushed jobs only result in mistakes, disappointment and extra work. I’ll be here when your Scrivener 3 will be released no matter when that is. I love the software. Thank you. Now back to my writing.

Thanks for the kind words, Huskey! :smiley:

:wink:

Is this still planned for a release before July, as it is still stated in your product page?

Judging by your name choice, ALIEN714, I’d say it’s obvious that you’ve been away for more than a while. Don’t despair, however. There are myriad posts on these forums concerning the much-anticipated release date of Scrivener 3 for Windows. A comment in each one should get your post tally up to, oh, say, 10 or 12. Perhaps more.

I will say there’s more interest in this subject than there is in the latest Windows beta and how well it performs.

So, here we are at the end of Q2.

No Windows 3.0 release? Check.

Mac Q2 upgrade? Check. Plus the bonus of a Mac upgrade in Q1, too.

Another round of excuses and justifications ? Check.
literatureandlatte.com/blog … rses-mouth

An actual honest-to-God release on August 30? We’ll see. Quite frankly, I’ve stopped believing anything L&L says.

Given your near constant haranguing, please tell us why you anticipate a Scrivener 3 release by August 30? Do you know something the rest of us don’t? Are you party to an as yet unseen post announcing such release by that date? It must please you greatly if you are. Do you lie awake at nights, fantasizing about the Scrivener release? Does it keep you from sleeping, knowing that, time and again, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year, there is no Scrivener 3 release date announced? Is it difficult for you to eat, given your anticipation and forecasting of a release date? How many more posts will there be? What will you do with your time once Scrivener 3 is announced? Will witty posts continue in the same vein, celebrating the release? Or will you slink off, tail between legs, to another board to complain endlessly about the release of the new Scrivener 3? Inquiring minds want to know.

Dude.

I get it, the negativity is annoying. I’m guilty of pushing back a little against the tide sometimes. Posts like these, though, are getting old, as well. This entire post is nothing but direct hostility, and it annoys me just as much as the posts that it’s “responding to.”

The August 30 date probably comes from this: literatureandlatte.com/blog … rses-mouth

Katherine

Mr. Cranky would like to take this opportunity to apologize to all and sundry for the negativity of his posts referencing the negativism with regard to the release of Scrivener 3 for Windows.

Mr. Smiley, on the other hand, would like to commend the company and development team for its ongoing struggle through great adversity to conquer the software demons inherent in the Windows platform.

Mr. Smiley looks forward to the plethora of posts regarding the imminent release of Scrivener for Android, which will no doubt bring smiles to the faces of those who have been patiently waiting to comment on such a release. Mr. Smiley is looking forward to a demand for a release date so he can sit back with a toothy grin and nod happily.

Mr. Smiley began using Scrivener 1 in 2011, and adopted the Windows Beta beginning with 7 or 8 (his output is so prolific, he can’t remember which). Mr. Smiley continues to write daily, read voraciously, and produce entertainment for his reading audience, all whilst sporting a toothy grin and nodding happily at his ever-growing bank account, thanks to Scrivener and the L&L development team.

Yep, that’s where it came from. It’s nice that Lee made a commitment to a date, and I’d love to be proved wrong this time, but my expectations remain low.

Then why are you still here?

Seriously, why are you still here? If you are that unhappy, and you think L&L are liars, why would you trust their code?

I am in heaven using Beta 18. Absolutely love it.

Take your time. You’re doing a lot of things right.

I’m from the nearly extinct school of “When it’s ready, put it out”. Far more common is the “If you can’t get it right, get it out” school of thought, where the users are turned into unwitting beta testers.

So please, devs, take as much time as you need to make sure it’s ready.

I think most devs would LOVE to be able to take as long as they need to “get it right”, but the big question is how long customers are willing to wait. There are other options out there, and at some point, even loyal customers get fed up. It sounds like one of the biggest delays is that they’re trying to get 3.0 for Windows to the same place 3.x is for Mac, but the Mac version is constantly getting updated. Not sure that’s the wisest plan, though I’m sure some of those Mac updates were to fix bugs that would also be present in Windows.

When you are only given a flat head screwdriver with a box of closed cross tips wood screws along with a hammer used to ping out small dents and a tube of glue and told to build a car frame from scratch without any help you have to learn to build the necessary tools from scratch. Its all trial and error for some as MS can and does change their API’s from time to time. From my understanding Apple provides a lot of the necessary tools whereas Microsoft either charges or does not even have the right tools. Remember Windows OS is not coded like an Apple OS and that can be a strain on why people don’t really port over to windows itself.

I, myself, don’t remember what version I took to dive into the beta. But given how I’ve watched the changes unfold and sudden new features added I’m willing to wait. I have learned that its best to get a lot of it right and not to bitch. To many are becoming of the mind frame of wanting it now.

I have to applaud L&& for actually letting us get our hands on early beta’s along with the upgrade option. Who am I to complain for such a gift. It’s a fine line that many developers have to make and yes its best to miss a release date (as many major companies have done) then to release something that could just as easily tank them.

So yes Beta 18 has many of the features from what I understand that Mac has and overall I say that’s quite an accomplishment in itself given the difference between the two. Will one ever catch up to the other? Not likely as like I had stated earlier. They may have to build something from the ground up or modify it due to OS changes.

Again thanks to all on the dev team for their dedication and hard work.

:slight_smile:

I’ve arrived in beta territory with the .34 release. Loving it, as are some friends, who’ve never heard of, or just haven’t ever tried Scrivener, and are still lost down at the…er….docs. :unamused:

Two thumbs way up from all.

Soooo?
7 months after the last post of this thread, are there any news from Scrivener 3 for Windows?
From what what I just read, the dev team was “very close now” in August 2019 and the latest news in November stated “our news isn’t stating an imminent release date”…
NB: not trolling, haven’t followed all possible threads in the forums…just curious! Thanks!

So follow the development thread

and you’ll know!

:slight_smile:

Mark

Thanks @xiamenese! :slight_smile: