Scrivener and Urdu

Hi Keith! No hurry in responding please. I have just read your message here.

After more than 40 years of speaking, writing and thinking in English, two years ago I decided to write in Urdu. (Introduction quoted below). After evaluating existing Urdu writing packages I was looking for much more. My son introduced me to Scrivener just over two years ago. I tested it on Mac then Windows version 1.9 then started with the Beta version AND I WAS HOOKED! I am now doing all my Urdu and English writing on Scrivener 3.1.1 for Windows. I think it has made my job much easier and I have been recommending it to other Urdu writers on Facebook as well. I attach a sample screen shot. So far, the only problem I come across is the Page Setup does not allow me to add a custom page (e.g. A5) for my Page View in Edit. I have to go via Compile… setup.

“Urdu is spoken as a first language by nearly 70 million people and as a second language by more than 100 million people, predominantly in Pakistan and India. It is the official state language of Pakistan and is also officially recognized, or “scheduled,” in the constitution of India.”

Replying to my own post just for records and for anyone interested.
I was having issues with page layout and handling inserted pictures. I found the free software LibreOffice V7.4 my perfect companion for composing my first Urdu short stories book after finishing it in Scrivener. I have just sent the first manuscript pdf to a printer and am waiting for the first bound sample. I am told InDesign is the software to go for professional printing but that has a steep learning curve for someone like me at the age 77. Not that I ain’t going to try learning that as well.

2 Likes