Scrivener Beginner Questions - but are you really skilled enough to give the right answer? đŸ˜±

Hey Scriveners!

First of all, how do you like the clickbait title? :laughing:

Help me please - I am sometimes slow on the uptake. I had now really long suppressed, how powerful Scrivener actually is and now working my way into the many settings.

• How can I know that it has saved a web page in the project - they seem to be saved, but I can tell just by the load times, is there a way to check?

And I am from Europe, also known as the continent that keeps the population busy with GDPR popup windows

• Is there a way that you do not have to constantly press the cookie consent in the Scrivener browser? - most sites I’ve to consent again and again - but on some sites the popup doesn’t want to disapear. Just sitting it out didn’t help. As an example: this as(s)holy-page: Krimz

• Is there a way to markup text (or put a bookmark) on imported websites?

• And last one general question - I was surprised that after a long time (measured in software cycles) I am still up to date with Scrivener 3 - no front - but generally
 we may expect new versions, right? Sorry if that was a stupid question - as a layman it is sometimes difficult to assess whether from a project 100 or 1 person makes a living. I plan to recommend the software for research, and in that context this would be interesting. Just the status quo - and I know everything could change next week, that’s not the point. Just to get an idea.

As always: leave a comment, klick the like button and subscribe 
 And many thanks in advance for the time and your thoughts and answers.And of course: keep on scrivening!

Sorry for my bad English - but in my defense, I sometimes don’t speak my native language well either.:beer::beers:
Best regards, directly from the city of broken dreams
First Ape Kid - kisses :kissing_heart:

How are you saving the web pages? Saving as html with links to the original page or as a bookmark is not actually saving as the content may be changed or even deleted anytime on the page’s server. WebArchives on the other hand are deprecated by Apple.

My recommendation would be to save the web pages as PDF. Then you have fixed content, you will only have to click the cookie consent once in your browser, and you can highlight text.

The quality of the PDF changes from site to site though. Some web site owners do not care or don’t even want the user to get clean (print) versions from it because that means the ads would be gone. In some cases the browser’s reader mode helps getting better results.

If that is a skilled enough answer is up to you.

1 Like

PS: Falls Du lieber auf Deutsch schreiben willst, mach das!

The most current version of Scrivener is 3.3.1, released a week or two ago. If that’s not what you have, you can download it here: Download Scrivener | Literature & Latte

Scrivener’s “browser” is really more of a web viewer. It doesn’t have the ability to run scripts, save cookies, and a number of other things that true browsers do. Suavito’s advice to save web pages as PDF files is good, and that or RTF is usually what I use as well.

Saving as html with links to the original page or as a bookmark is not actually saving as the content may be changed or even deleted anytime on the page’s server. WebArchives on the other hand are deprecated by Apple.

Ah
 okay
 that is interesting to hear about - I just grabbed the pages by the ball (world) icon, left of the URL in Safari n dropped it - till now. Must be WebArchives - it shows that failure message when I wanted to open it. but besides this, it works really great for pages like wikipedia.

If that is a skilled enough answer is up to you.

Perhaps a little bit too skilled. Never forget: Competence makes people unattractive. :wink:

PS: Falls Du lieber auf Deutsch schreiben willst, mach das!

Jetz komm, das war doch geraten. Vielleicht bin ich ja auch aus Österreich? :slight_smile: Ne passt - womit hab ich mich denn verraten? die Satzstellung, oder?

My recommendation would be to save the web pages as PDF. Then you have fixed content, you will only have to click the cookie consent once in your browser, and you can highlight text.

Scrivener’s “browser” is really more of a web viewer. It doesn’t have the ability to run scripts, save cookies, and a number of other things that true browsers do. Suavito’s advice to save web pages as PDF files is good, and that or RTF is usually what I use as well.

All I have to know. You both helped me really a lot. Thanks for that! Would be the best way to edit or comment I think. I’ll run a keysmith script for easy handling.
In cases where’s I need the graphical design - there’s shottr, or for setapp users cleanshotx a good way. That’s what I did with the unconsentable (hope the word exists) sites. Last one can handle each scrollable window. That’s really awesome. - If you need.
I found out, Safari can open them - open the webarchive - but for each file the MacOS needs a extra consent. ^^ Is it that unsecure, or why doesn’t apple want me to open these files.?

But, okay - One more thing
 When I open it - the file name be “content.pdf” - is this given and unchangeable? Or just hided for me in the settings?

Cheerz
 have a good one.
:v: :slight_smile:

Unchangeable. Inside the Scrivener project, there are a whole bunch of folders with unique names. The actual files are stored inside those folders with generic names (content.pdf, content.rtf, some others for notes and such).

Möglicherweise verbirgt sich auch in Deinem Screenshot ein Hinweis auf Deine Muttersprache.

Ok, for me it’s all in one .scriv file - so for a scenario where I have to get these files without scrivener, or if I send it to somebody who hasn’t the scrivener software -is it possible to get to these pictures and pdfs or to “unscriv” these scriv bundle?

Ja, das ist mir dann gestern auch noch eingefallen, das klingt natĂŒrlich plausibel - wenn du jetzt gesagt hĂ€ttest “ja, die Satzstellung war’s” dann hĂ€tte ich ein Autogramm gewollt. Deutsch ist aber eigentlich nur ein Hobby fĂŒr mich, weil ich Franz Kavka in der deutschen Übersetzung irgendwie immer besser fand. :wink:

The File → Export → Files command will preserve the Binder hierarchy and give files the titles you see in the Binder.

For working back and forth between Scrivener and some other tool, see the manual for the Sync with External Folder command.

1 Like

Ein Autogramm von mir? Weil 
?

Markus.

Blockquote

Thanks you very much - That’s all I need to need to know by now. Perfect.

Weil ich es beeindruckend gefunden hĂ€tte, wenn du die deutsche Satzstellung (fĂŒr die wir ja weltweit “geliebt” werden) rausgelesen hĂ€ttest.

Den auch. Gibt’s den eigentlich noch - in meiner Bubble taucht der nicht mehr auf. Ich werde den gleich mal googlen
 Markus Kavka 
 der ist ja auch Autor. Mit was schreibt der eigentlich?