Scrivener compiles an older version of the story = the oldest snapshot

My editor commented that when I compiled the second draft we had worked together, it did not show the edits. She sent me the first two chapters I know we had changed. I checked my Scrivener text, and the changes were all made. But when I compiled the story, it showed the first draft without the changes - even though they were not even there in the text anymore.

I think this has to do with the snapshots. I may have 6 snapshots of a chapter, and when I go to each chapter, and view the snapshots, Scrivener had the very first one in grey. I went through each chapter and clicked on the latest version, and compiled again - to no avail. The first version was the one that was compiled.

How can I get the latest version? Or do I need to delete all the snapshots before compiling?


It’s not possible to have the compiler use snapshots for what it exports, so my guess would be that there is something different going on—perhaps you migrated to a new folder at some point for working on the revision, and left the first revision in the actual Draft (with a capital ‘D’) folder, which is what the compiler uses.

I’d search your project using the “exact phrase” method, and look for bits of text that have been edited out. If you find anything, select it in the search results list and use the Navigate ▸ Reveal in Binder (⌥⌘R) menu command. That will show you which folder it is located in, and if it appears to be in the main Draft folder (the one with the special icon that has a blue “spine” on the left), then the new stuff is probably elsewhere. You can simply swap the contents around to get the newer stuff into the draft, and “archive” the older revision some place else, clearly marked.

Hmm… I always saved the Scrivener story on the same file / location (manually). And I tried to save it anew with a different name to that same location. Opened it, compiled and again the old version came out…


Snapshots are a red herring. As Ioa said, Scrivener can’t compile them.

So either you’re not including the files you think you are in the Compile command, or you’re opening an older version of the output document by mistake.


And to clarify my earlier point: what I was referring to would not have anything to do with how you save the entire project (or which one you are loading, etc.). Try this experiment (on a copy of the interactive tutorial from the help menu, so as to not risk messing anything important up):

  1. Locate the “Draft” folder in the binder and select it.
  2. Use the Documents ▸ with Subdocuments and Unique Title menu command (or press ⌘D).
  3. Collapse “Draft” and expand enough of “Draft-1”, so you can see the “Main Interface” document, in the Get Oriented section. Delete the text from the editor for this one file.
  4. Now compile.

As you’ll note, the original content for “Main Interface” compiles, even though we just deleted the text. Why? Because you made your edit to file in a folder outside of the Draft. The copy in the Draft, that you duplicated from was never altered. This may all be super obvious when we put it out in a simple list like this and do one step right after the other. But maybe if you insert a five week delay in between steps 2 and 3, and change step 2 to “import .docx from editor”—maybe one might end up never placing the revised version into the Draft folder to begin with.

When I
Use the Documents ▸ with Subdocuments and Unique Title menu command (or press ⌘D). (I press the cmd + D)
It copies the draft into a folder called “Draft copy”
Is this what you mean? Should I compile that one?

I ended up compiling the whole thing by copypasting it manually on a word document when nothing helped. 87 chapters…
Not happy.

Now, when I have copied the whole thing to a new Scrivener file, given it a new name, and compile from there (from the new name I have given this project) it STILL gives the old version.
(Edited: when I change the name of a chapter, that changes, but the actual text doesn’t)

I open the version I want to work with manually from my Dropbox file.
It seems I cannot figure this one out, will have to do manual copypasting for this project. Don’t have time for this, really… I should be publishing my book, not trying to tweak a computer program…


Try this:

Create a new project.

Drag the documents you want into it.

Remove all snapshots.