Scrivener for the exploding Android-market?

There’s been a very recent thread on this (yesterday)? It might be helpful, even though my own contribution was based on ignorance and so won’t be.

You can already dictate onto the Nexus with any Dropbox enabled plain text app and then import that file into Scrivener (I use Draft on my Nexus 7 - dictation via the Swiftkey for Tablet).

I thought about getting the bigger Nexus but surprised myself by not liking it at all for writing - nice screen for reading though. I use my Nexus 7 in conjunction with a MBA 13", and the Nexus 10 (and standard i-Pad for that matter) seemed to me to be neither fish nor fowl and not in a good way.

Cheers,

Eric

Developing for Android is such a massive headache with the version fragmentation. Only 5 percent of Android devices are using the latest version. Over a third are still using Gingerbread, which is, what, three years old? To reach the largest number of Android users, you have to develop for the lowest-common denominator in Android OS version.

developer.android.com/about/das … index.html

So if a developer wants to optimise their app for the latest Android technologies and offerings, s/he may cut out a large percentage of users who are on older versions.

In contrast, over 95 percent of those on iOS (iPhone and iPad) are using the latest OS version. Development is much more sane, rational, and consistent for the iPad.

To be honest, if I were compelled to develop an Android version, I’d do it as an HTML 5 one rather than bespoke, even with the limitations, just to maintain my sanity.

Well, in this situation, acoording to the fact, that touch screen is not best keybord – maybe best way will be create something like “Scrivener LITE” – which will using for typing only and later synchronisation with standart Scrivener on Win/Mac.

I’m not a developer, but it seems to me there are three major versions of Android that together account for 95% of Android users: Gingerbread (2.3.x), Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0), and Jelly Bean (4.1-3).

Gingerbread is phone-only and found mainly on old, low-end phones. I think it’d be best just to ignore any version of Android pre-ICS.

Would there be a phone version of Scrivener for Android right out of the gate? Or will it start out tablet-only or even be tablet-only indefinitely? If only a tablet version is made (to start), then that simplifies development.

Developers can focus on just ICS and JB, maybe Key Lime Pie (5.0) as well if the app is still in development when it comes out. The differences between ICS, JB, and KLP are not huge. Each is mostly a refinement on the previous version and adds a few features.

1 Like

Stuff, I fear you may have framed the question incorrectly here.

When making a commercial decision to invest in developing for a new platform, you don’t think about how many potential customers you lose in the development effort so much as you think about how many new ones you make available to yourself. Developing for, say, only Ice-Cream Sandwich and higher doesn’t “lose” certain customers; they weren’t your customers in the first place. Developing for only Ice-Cream Sandwich and higher unlocks all the people out there with those operating systems on their devises. If that is a big enough number, and has sufficient growth potential, then that is all that really matters.

I’ve just done some very quick number crunching (the source numbers are from Wikipedia, so I attach only casual confidence in the accuracy. However, they serve to illustrate my point).
ICS and later accounts for approx. 60% of Android devices
Android accounts for approx. 64% of all devices
Therefore ICS and later accounts for 60% x 64% = 38% of all devices
This is, as I understand it, a higher number than iOS devices.

Those figures are incorrect for tablets, and ignore the number of Android tablets that are little more than web browsing and email devices.

They also ignore the huge number of screen resolutions and mfrs tweaks.

From our own perspective we have given Android dev away. Too many devices to test against for optimum performance, and within 3 weeks app was pirated on several Android app stores and on one had a Trojan inserted. As our app is technical and reputation rides on it, we killed it outright.

We now only develop for iOS. Your experience may be different, but I’d recommend thinking on it.

Let me bump this. It’s now 2022 and with amazing devices like the Tab S8 Ultra, I have to wonder about Android version. Any word, movement, anything?

2 Likes

How is it possible that this isn’t available yet? I desperately need this on my Android device - seems the only time I ever get to write these days is if I’m stuck waiting for a family member in some waiting room somewhere.

1 Like

This is great to hear! I have an iPad in addition to my laptop, but very much prefer Android. I do agree, however that it needs to be done right and not rushed to market. I’m just happy to know in the works for some point in the future!

Look back over the history of the iOS version. Many false starts with contract programmers having to drop out for medical reasons and other problems. It was a long time in coming. Much as I love Scrivener including the iOS/iPadOS version I would not be holding my breath waiting for an Android version to appear. After the backlash L&L received over the delay from announcement to release of the iOS version it would not surprise me if they won’t even announce the existence until close to a launch.

1 Like

Better to surprise everyone with a new product after it has been completed. Than nagged to death for a promised but undelivered one.

Yup. No one wants to be like Oracle who were taken to court by shareholders and customers alike because of vapourware promises.

I used to use a lot of Google stuff (search, docs, G+, etc). Have binned all Google products now—save for blue moon searches.

Yes, and the much-too-soon release of Windows Scrivener 3 beta versions (barely alpha versions in reality) was a massive disaster.

Agreed. So much grief and bashing in Windows comments section. But mercifully with the release that has stopped.

I desperately need this on my Android device - seems the only time I ever get to write these days is if I’m stuck waiting for a family member in some waiting room somewhere..

I don’t know if it is just me, but… last we heard from someone official, the project is dead.

This post from an unknown user you’re referring to dates back to July 2013. What about this statement from the boss (July 2017):

1 Like

Ah. Better.
Perhaps it’d be an idea to lock this here thread all together then.

P.S. That unknown user has moderator privileges and LL’s logo for a personal icon…

From my limited understanding “system” is a dummy user that inherits posts of deserted accounts, in order that threads don’t become incomprehensible because of deleted posts.

Might be wrong, though.