Scrivener for the exploding Android-market?

Those figures are incorrect for tablets, and ignore the number of Android tablets that are little more than web browsing and email devices.

They also ignore the huge number of screen resolutions and mfrs tweaks.

From our own perspective we have given Android dev away. Too many devices to test against for optimum performance, and within 3 weeks app was pirated on several Android app stores and on one had a Trojan inserted. As our app is technical and reputation rides on it, we killed it outright.

We now only develop for iOS. Your experience may be different, but I’d recommend thinking on it.

Let me bump this. It’s now 2022 and with amazing devices like the Tab S8 Ultra, I have to wonder about Android version. Any word, movement, anything?

2 Likes

How is it possible that this isn’t available yet? I desperately need this on my Android device - seems the only time I ever get to write these days is if I’m stuck waiting for a family member in some waiting room somewhere.

1 Like

This is great to hear! I have an iPad in addition to my laptop, but very much prefer Android. I do agree, however that it needs to be done right and not rushed to market. I’m just happy to know in the works for some point in the future!

Look back over the history of the iOS version. Many false starts with contract programmers having to drop out for medical reasons and other problems. It was a long time in coming. Much as I love Scrivener including the iOS/iPadOS version I would not be holding my breath waiting for an Android version to appear. After the backlash L&L received over the delay from announcement to release of the iOS version it would not surprise me if they won’t even announce the existence until close to a launch.

1 Like

Better to surprise everyone with a new product after it has been completed. Than nagged to death for a promised but undelivered one.

Yup. No one wants to be like Oracle who were taken to court by shareholders and customers alike because of vapourware promises.

I used to use a lot of Google stuff (search, docs, G+, etc). Have binned all Google products now—save for blue moon searches.

Yes, and the much-too-soon release of Windows Scrivener 3 beta versions (barely alpha versions in reality) was a massive disaster.

Agreed. So much grief and bashing in Windows comments section. But mercifully with the release that has stopped.

I desperately need this on my Android device - seems the only time I ever get to write these days is if I’m stuck waiting for a family member in some waiting room somewhere..

I don’t know if it is just me, but… last we heard from someone official, the project is dead.

This post from an unknown user you’re referring to dates back to July 2013. What about this statement from the boss (July 2017):

1 Like

Ah. Better.
Perhaps it’d be an idea to lock this here thread all together then.

P.S. That unknown user has moderator privileges and LL’s logo for a personal icon…

From my limited understanding “system” is a dummy user that inherits posts of deserted accounts, in order that threads don’t become incomprehensible because of deleted posts.

Might be wrong, though.

Ok well, whatever it is, it is uselessly confusing imo.
(Else, I would have thought it’d be a generic any of the moderators could use for discretion or whatever.)

Ladies and gentlemen, Android not dead. (At least I corrected that part. :wink: )

1 Like

Times have changed since 2013.

If I was to design a new multi-platform software nowadays, I’d make it a webapp. That way I’d get native Win/Mac/Linux versions with Electron, a browser-based cloud version, and could make primitive “webview-only” apps for ios and android. I could even offer the desktop apps in an online (cloud) and offline flavour or have them sync with the cloud (like Apple Mail/Numbers/etc. do).

It’d be one development effort for all platforms, with only some minimal platform-dependent tweaks for the installable apps.

Just my $.50 (inflation adjusted).

1 Like

Sadly not much use in the deep tunnels of the London Underground because there is no Internet access down there. Access on stations is patchy and depends how crowd the platform is as you need to move around to find the 1cm where a connection can be made.

3 Likes

If the webapp is well made, it can provide many functions offline. The webbrowser offers persistent storage that can be used to keep documents available offline and sync them when an internet connection is available again.

And most text editing functions would run purely in the browser, the server would just act as storage medium. But you probably wouldn’t be able to use such things as compiling, changing global settings, snapshots and such stuff.

And that’s just the webbrowser version. If an installable app is involved, it can do plenty of additional stuff. Although I don’t think the node.js backend (which would be used by the desktop apps and on the server) would run on mobile devices, so adding server-side functionality there would be extra coding effort.

I know, there aren’t many websites that offer an offline mode nowadays. It never got that popular. The only one I can think of is the Kindle reader, but I haven’t checked if that functionality is still there after the last update (the one that started forcing that horrible font in everything that’s not a free sample…).

If Kindle Cloud Reader is some kind of a reference implementation, that would explain the lack of general success. And this damned thing has (for the most part) one job, and one job only. Displaying text.

I understand your line of thinking and in an ideal world there would be (easy to achieve) platform parity, rock solid cloud sync AND 100% offline storage, etc. But the technology isn’t just ready. Maybe for less complex apps like Google Docs it’s sufficient.

2 Likes