Scrivener for the exploding Android-market?

Yeah, you don’t want to pet the service dogs, but you REALLY don’t want to pet the explosive ones.

I live with an explosive dog, let me tell you it isn’t fun. Especially a few hours after it eats something rancid.

The exploding Android market is still only a fraction of the iOS tablet market, and returns fr developers, even n the Android phone market are significantly less than,for iOS, fr several reasons.

From bitter experience. It is necessary to test any Android app on a number of platforms fr compatibility, and write a number of versions if you wanna to cover even just he most popular,due to different resolutions and skins.

2 nd expect to see your app pirated and appear on any number of secondary Android app stores, often being sold, or if given away, with malware attached. Does wonders for your reputation.

These points, as above from bitter experience.

We still have a couple of nexus 7" and a Fire HD,however replacing with iPads.

Would trust any Android development will not take the focus off the iPad development.

Run Scrivener on Mac and Windows.

I’m new to the forum though I’ve been using Scrivener for some time. I’m finding I’m using it more now that I started a magazine and am also writing a book.

The one tool that’s been missing for me is an Android app. Just the other day, before I searched the forum for Android references, I had decided to research the possibility of creating my own Android app as I’m a programmer as well.

But reading this thread I’m not sure if the effort is worth it if an official app is forthcoming sometime next year.

Any thoughts?

Lee can actually already build Scrivener so that it runs on Android, it’s just slow and clunky because the interface isn’t tailored to the mobile device yet. He is already looking at the mobile interface we have designed for iOS and starting to think about applying that to Android - so we have very firm plans for an Android app, it’s just that we won’t be announcing anything officially until it is further along.

All the best,
Keith

Big thumb up to an Android App (and Lee’s the man for the job when he gets off the beach!).

p.s. add in an option for a Local sync (pretty please - or I’ll keep using OneNote :smiling_imp: :imp: )

It makes me almost want to jump to Mac…almost.
I can wait :slight_smile:

I’m also highly interested in an Android version with a local sync option. Is there a way to sign up to be notified when there’s news or a beta?

1 Like

Do you use an external keyboard or touch screen?

I use the touch-screen, with Swift-key for Tablet which by now knows a lot of my regular errors. I also dictate sometimes: the Google software is really pretty good most of the time and errors are easily corrected with the touch-screen.

This is mainly for notes and the very occasional insight; not for extended writing of course.

Cheers,

Eric

Perhaps you might be interested in my way of making notes: I just use audio recorder. Even the simplest model makes life easier, but a model with the folders, labels and tags (like olympus ds-7000) making it quite pleasant :slight_smile:.

After I just put my notes in the “notes” to the texts in the Scrivener.

Thanks - for `audio’ I now use my i-phone - even more accurate dictation than Google. I talk to Notesy or Daedalus or Write (if I need folder separation) and though that doesn’t go direct to Scrivener it does give me a written form I can drag in when I’m next at my lap-top.

Cheers,

Eric

How much functionality will there be compared to the Mac version of the software, or the Windows version. For example, out of the gate, will it have free form index cards and the extra outlining features that’s in the Mac version, but not yet in the PC version?

Has anyone tried JotterPad Pro HD? It specifically mentions Scrivener support.

Just wanted to note that I’m glad to see Android is on the map for future development.

I love my Windows version, even if it hasn’t quite caught up to the Mac version yet. (Sometimes an app can be too filled with features, if you know what I mean… I kept away from Scrivener for something more bare-bones for a LONG time.)

However, now that I’ve made the leap, I love the app. I’m hoping projects that are created, say, in the Windows version, would be compatible to be opened and edited in the future Android version.

Another feature I’d value is using Android’s speech recognition to allow one to dictate a piece of writing into Scrivener for later editing.

Currently, I use Scrivener on my desktop PC and my laptop, both of which run WIndows 7.

My other two devices are a Samsung Galaxy SIII and a Google Nexus 7 tablet.

Within a year or two, I’ll likely upgrade that Nexus 7 tablet to a 10-inch or larger Android device.

Of course, if my laptop ever fails, I’m seriously considering replacing that Win7 machine with a Chromebook, but that’s another story… :wink:

I’m patient, though; so long as I know an Android version is on the way, I can be content writing on my desktop and laptop only for now. :slight_smile:

There’s been a very recent thread on this (yesterday)? It might be helpful, even though my own contribution was based on ignorance and so won’t be.

You can already dictate onto the Nexus with any Dropbox enabled plain text app and then import that file into Scrivener (I use Draft on my Nexus 7 - dictation via the Swiftkey for Tablet).

I thought about getting the bigger Nexus but surprised myself by not liking it at all for writing - nice screen for reading though. I use my Nexus 7 in conjunction with a MBA 13", and the Nexus 10 (and standard i-Pad for that matter) seemed to me to be neither fish nor fowl and not in a good way.

Cheers,

Eric

Developing for Android is such a massive headache with the version fragmentation. Only 5 percent of Android devices are using the latest version. Over a third are still using Gingerbread, which is, what, three years old? To reach the largest number of Android users, you have to develop for the lowest-common denominator in Android OS version.

developer.android.com/about/das … index.html

So if a developer wants to optimise their app for the latest Android technologies and offerings, s/he may cut out a large percentage of users who are on older versions.

In contrast, over 95 percent of those on iOS (iPhone and iPad) are using the latest OS version. Development is much more sane, rational, and consistent for the iPad.

To be honest, if I were compelled to develop an Android version, I’d do it as an HTML 5 one rather than bespoke, even with the limitations, just to maintain my sanity.

Well, in this situation, acoording to the fact, that touch screen is not best keybord – maybe best way will be create something like “Scrivener LITE” – which will using for typing only and later synchronisation with standart Scrivener on Win/Mac.

I’m not a developer, but it seems to me there are three major versions of Android that together account for 95% of Android users: Gingerbread (2.3.x), Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0), and Jelly Bean (4.1-3).

Gingerbread is phone-only and found mainly on old, low-end phones. I think it’d be best just to ignore any version of Android pre-ICS.

Would there be a phone version of Scrivener for Android right out of the gate? Or will it start out tablet-only or even be tablet-only indefinitely? If only a tablet version is made (to start), then that simplifies development.

Developers can focus on just ICS and JB, maybe Key Lime Pie (5.0) as well if the app is still in development when it comes out. The differences between ICS, JB, and KLP are not huge. Each is mostly a refinement on the previous version and adds a few features.

1 Like

Stuff, I fear you may have framed the question incorrectly here.

When making a commercial decision to invest in developing for a new platform, you don’t think about how many potential customers you lose in the development effort so much as you think about how many new ones you make available to yourself. Developing for, say, only Ice-Cream Sandwich and higher doesn’t “lose” certain customers; they weren’t your customers in the first place. Developing for only Ice-Cream Sandwich and higher unlocks all the people out there with those operating systems on their devises. If that is a big enough number, and has sufficient growth potential, then that is all that really matters.

I’ve just done some very quick number crunching (the source numbers are from Wikipedia, so I attach only casual confidence in the accuracy. However, they serve to illustrate my point).
ICS and later accounts for approx. 60% of Android devices
Android accounts for approx. 64% of all devices
Therefore ICS and later accounts for 60% x 64% = 38% of all devices
This is, as I understand it, a higher number than iOS devices.