Scrivener for Windows - Update exits before it starts

Scrivener for Windows (3.1.0.0 on Windows 10 Pro 21H2) prompts on startup to update to 3.1.1.0.

Once the download completes, the ‘install now’ button activates. If I click it, the Update dialog exits, Scrivener closes, & nothing happens.

This is robustly repeatable on one system (HP EliteDesk, Windows 10 Pro, across 2 minor versions), but does not happen on the other (LG Gram notebook, Windows 10 Pro).

Presumably I can upgrade by just running the current installer (IIRC that’s been true in the past), so this isn’t really a stopper for me – point of this is to bring it to awareness & see if anyone else is experiencing it.

Yes, there have been a few posts that this has happened to folks. Workaround, as you mention, is to download the update from L&L’s download page.

Best,
Jim

yeah, i’m not experiencing any issues that lead me to believe I need the update, so I’m going to wait for the next minor version & see if the behavior persists. If it does, I’ll do the offline update. (I try to be strategically lazy about things like that…yet here I am answering this. What, you want logic?!)

1 Like