Scrivener iOS syncing via Dropbox continues to crash the app

I have 39420 files in my Scrivener/Dropbox sync representing 27.81 go. My iPhone XS Max have a capacity of 256 go. I’ve never met issue with IOS 12. Like Grahamgrün, I have tested with some new sync folder.
The first attempt, I selected one project first and sync is OK ; I add a little group of project and sync is OK ; I add another group of projects and sync is OK, and so on until a weight of 12.56 go before crash.
The second attempt with a new sync folder, I sync only one project at a time and Scrivener crash only after 8.32 go.
Time before crash is a little bit longer with this new sync folders.
In the meantime I use iMazing for sync with USB. It’s works, but it is clearly not convenient for my needs.

The app is definitely remaining active. It’s there amongst the open apps and a tap brings it back up. iPad Pro 12.9 13.1 yet works fine on X with 13.1

Hey AmberV,

Scrivener app definitely takes awhile before it crashes. A couple of minutes, in my case.
I have two projects in scrivener that are updating: one uploading and one downloading.

Using your shell command, I have 14427 files to sync in my Dropbox/Scrivener folder at 257.2 mb, so you’re way past that in your tests.

I’m not using the default location, I’m in ~/Dropbox/Scrivener - having the folder with projects pre-iPhone app days. Wonder if that could be an issue.

I’m also having this problem with ipadOS 13.1 on an iPad Pro 2018.

The find command mentioned above say I have 19581 files in the dropbox/apps/scrivener folder. My largest project is about 12 MB.

I see the Downloading File List message for about 30-45 seconds, then Scrivener just vanishes from the screen. It does not appear to still be active.

I have attempted to sync only one project instead of all of them, but the same crash happens.

It doesn’t work the same way as Dropbox, but I’ve had success using Resilio Sync. It creates synced folders on multiple Macs, iphones and ipads and keeps them sync’ed without a central server using P2P technology. It works with any app, not just Scrivener.

You can use the basic version for free, or go pro for $60 and get all kinds of useful features.

I’ve had this problem since the early beta of iPadOS, so reverted back to iOS 12 (on my iPad Pro 12.9). Interestingly, no such issues on my iPad Pro 10.5. On the 12.9 I’m now running iPadOS 13.1 and the sync issues are back — crashes every time. But still no problems on the 10.5 following the exact same procedures. Today I was able to sync every project without an issue. But I note that it’s also now crashing on the iPhone (running iOS 13.1).

As with Graham above, I’ve been migrating projects to a virgin folder and syncing one at a time, no problem (on the iPad). After four projects were moved across, I tried to sync with the iPhone, and it crashed as before. I’ve repeated this also with different files. It seems to cark it when trying to sync multiple projects, regardless of the size (one was 330mb and synced normally). Also, syncing seems to be terribly slow, even with a single project — more so than normal.

I have updated to iOS 13.1 on both my iPhone 8 and my 2019 iPadPro.
Syncing Scrivener with Dropbox works on both devices.
Settings -> Scrivener -> any menu choice… now works on both devices.

So it’s not a general problem, for all users.

Is there a solution in sight for the sync crashing? I am trying since yesterday but could not figure out a way to make it work (iPad Pro 2018/iOs 13.1) It crashes each time after I initiated the sync process with DropBox.

Changing the Dropbox sync directory from apps/scrivener to a new custom directory did not work either.
Same result. Scrivener App is crashing on sync. (iPadPro 2018/iPadOs 13.1).
At the moment, I cannot use Scrivener on the way to work on my projects. :open_mouth:

I’m note sure if this has any value, but I pulled a log off of Xcode from scrivener during a failed update. Xcode isn’t very verbose, and I didn’t see any errors reported. In fact, it reported several successes even though my projects haven’t been updated.

I don’t believe the iOS app thinks it’s failing or we’d see some kind of error message instead of a silent app close.
Scrivener console output Xcode.txt (183 KB)

Those of you who experience crashes, did you update your Scrivener app? My app wasn’t visible in the App store Update tab, but when I searched for Scrivener on the App store it showed the Update button in the app presentation.

Yes, it’s updated. Initially it wasn’t and the crash happened on both versions.

Sure updating was the first I did before the issues started. In fact, after I was unable to resolve the sync issue, I did delete and re-install the entire sync chain from the scratch, means Dropbox and Scrivener. Still, it does not work. Changing the sync directory also did not resolve it.

So, it appears those of us with Scrivener iOS app crashes had unsynced project changes in our Scrivener app when we updated to iOS13. Here’s how I came to that conclusion.

Symptom
I have 10 individual projects in my Scrivener/Dropbox folder.
Project 1 has updates via Macbook and Scrivener App is awaiting download.
Project 2 has updates via Scrivener iOS app and is awaiting upload.

• I update my iPhone iOS to iOS 13 -
    Scrivener App downloads file list successfully (seen in logs) but crashes silently before actual file sync occurs.

Investigation

1. On the Macbook I moved Project 1 & 2 out of Dropbox/Scrivener on to my Desktop.
    Waited for Dropbox to update the removal.
  2. On iPhone, synced Scrivener iOS app - which now successfully syncs files (hooray!)
    When complete, Project 1 & 2 are no longer on my iPhone’s Scrivener iOS app.
  3. On Macbook, I moved Project 1 & 2 back into my Dropbox/Scrivener folder.
    Waited for Dropbox to update the additional projects.
  4. With Project 1 & 2 back in Dropbox, I attempted an iPhone sync - which crashed silently.

*Even deleting the iOS app on the iPhone and reopening/saving each project on Macbook before a fresh iOS dropbox resync crashes Scrivener iOS with the two originally unynced projects 1 & 2 present (in my case).

It doesn’t explain why it works for me, and all the other users who don’t post in here because everything works as expected.

That’s true, i cant explain that. Updating to iOS 13.1 didn’t change my situation at all.
I’ve been troubleshooting this for hours today and I’m not sure what happened or how to fix it. It’s terrifying to have years of work on the line or even just lose access to it, so hopefully I can try and find a work-around fix for those of us who are still affected - but so far it’s looking grim.

I don’t know about terrifying but it’s a pain in the bum. I’ve also spent hours on it today, trying to figure out why it works fine on the 10.5 and not on the 12.9 or the iPhone X. I thought it might have been different versions of iPad OS 13.1, but both are running the same version now. I got the 12.9 running Scrivener fine for a while by copying projects over to the sync file one at a time — it crapped out at five projects and wouldn’t sync again. Scrivener on the 12.9 is my go-to, so this is quite disruptive.

I’m getting the feeling that everyone with the crash has newer devices like iPad Pro or iPhone XS. Anybody here with an older device that crashes?

Oh, and another thing I noticed, which might speak for a memory issue: I have the feeling that some apps like Friendly (a Facebook client) or the Discourse app reload their content far more often when I return to them after a little while. As if they had to clean their cache in the meantime. Maybe something within iOS 13 eats away memory?