Scrivener iOS syncing via Dropbox continues to crash the app

I don’t want to add fuel to the fire, as I’m guessing the developers are probably busy seeing what is causing this bug and I guess nothing in iCloud changed enough to make Scrivener-syncing possible. But it is funny that I had a project with changes that I made on the iPad, that I couldn’t get synced back to Dropbox because of the crashing, and I did get it backed up by using the Files App on my iPad to copy the project to iCloud Drive. I opened it on the Mac, and the changes were there.

Also weird how this bug seems to be affecting more recent devices and people with older devices say they don’t have the issue.

Considering my projects are pretty big (about 20GB in total, biggest one being 8GB, although I’m having the crash now with just some text changes on a 200MB project) I am not in the mood of doing a lot of testing a lot of stuff to help the developers, because with those project sizes, it would quickly take me a lot of time. But I do respect everyone in this thread that is bug hunting, doing tests, and giving all the results on the forum. This can only help the developers track the bug down a lot quicker.

Having this problem too unfortunately on an iPhone XRA running iOS 13.1. This’ll teach me to download an iOS update before it’s been out for 5 months at least :angry: :cry:

Just adding another voice for the bug: sync crashes on iPad Pro 2018 12.9 inches. This is definitely not a rare occurrence.

Just to add to the evidence. I have an iPad Air2 running iPadOS 13.1 and I have had no problems with Dropbox syncing at all.

So perhaps there is indeed something in the theory that the bug is hardware related, and that that shows according to the age of the hardware…

iPad Pro 2018, iOS 13.1 — crashes
IPhone 7Plus, iOS 13.1 — doesn’t crash

gcg’s workaround works for my iPad Pro. The only exception is that I am not patient like gcg is, so I moved all of my recent Scrivener projects to a new folder in one fell swoop - no problems to report.

I’m having the same issue. I’ve narrowed it down to one project, my biggest project. It’s 8.4MB. My second biggest project (8.0MB) works. I don’t think it has to do with the number of individual files in the project. The biggest one (that doesn’t work) has 580 individual files and the second biggest (that does) has 784.

It doesn’t seem to be just size related, though. I created a test project and kept pasting text into it until it grew to over 9MB. Scrivener on my iPad didn’t crash trying to sync. The project only has 93 individual files.

Don’t know what that means yet, and I don’t have time to work on it this morning, but maybe it can help someone else track down the issue.

But a third generation iPadPro from November last year is hardly “old” hardware, is it?

Bah, that should be “iPhone XR”–please excuse the typo! I don’t think I’ve tried my iPad yet (iPad Mini 5, also running iOS 13.1) to see if the problem happens there as well.

iPhone X 13.1, sync doesn’t crash,
iPad pro 11“ from last November, crashes on both 13.1 and 13.1.1…

It’s the opposite of what you would expect: it seems newer hardware crashes and older doesn’t.

iPadOs 13.1.2 was just released. Let’s see, if this helps.

No, it did not … :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Still crashing.

Same problem here.

iPhone XR and iPad Pro 12.9 running last versions of iOS as of Monday, 9/30/2019 1:47 pm CDT

Bob

I’m fortunate that neither of my iOS devices is showing this issue. BUT—I checked back among the devices reporting the crash and those reporting no crash in this thread.

Every device that crashes has an Apple A12 Bionic processor. Every device that does NOT crash has an Apple A11 processor or earlier. This holds true for both my devices—the iPhone 8 Plus has an A11 processor, the iPad 6th Gen has an A10 processor. The crash does not appear to depend on RAM (as distinct from storage. If your phone has 128 Gb, that’s storage, like your laptop hard drive.) Devices reporting the crash have anywhere from 3 to 6 GB of RAM. Devices reporting no crash have anywhere from 2 to 4GB. (Apple doesn’t release iPhone/iPad RAM specs, but they are posted in various places on the 'net once someone has torn a device apart to see how much RAM it has…)

If this crash is indeed processor dependent, it may require a protracted process among Scrivener, Apple, and Dropbox tech people to figure out what is going on.

Does anyone have a squeaky-new iPhone 11/11 Pro/11 Pro Max? I’m now curious to know if the A13 processor crashes or not.

My iPad Pro from November doesn’t crash. It has the A12X Bionic processor, so slightly different.

I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max and I’m experiencing the crash issue too.

I was able to get it to work for a couple files with the new folder method mentioned earlier in this thread, but it crashed again when I added my largest (500+ MB) project (the one I most need to sync of course!).

Same here on iPhone XR and IPad Mini 2019 both using iOS 13.1.2

I have had this problem on my iPad Pro 12.9” Third Generation. It started with iOS 13 and has continued through the latest update, 13.1.2.

For what it’s worth, Accuweather’s most recent app update (from 3 days ago?) still crashes under both 13.1.1 and now 13.1.2. So it’s some small comfort that this isn’t all Scrivener’s fault–iOS 13 was just totally not ready for primetime (and more fool me for not waiting longer to download it. You’d think I’d have learned my lesson after all these years in tech).

As my husband put it, wait to install until the release numbers quit spinning. This is what, three updates in about a week?

Katherine