Scrivener on my thumbdrive

I am learning Scrivener, and I am not a tech person at all. I backed up my work on a thumb drive, but somehow the entire program is now on the thumb drive. I can’t run Scrivener unless I put in the thumb drive. I am trying to figure out how to put Scrivener back on my desktop and use the TD as a backup for my project. Nothing I try works. Please advise.

You can just reinstall Scrivener in your computer’s applications folder. There’s no need to move it.

To move projects, use your system’s file manager (Finder or Windows Explorer, as the case may be) and drag and drop.

To set a backup location, use the Scrivener → Preferences → Backups pane.

If you haven’t already, I’d recommend taking a look at our Interactive Tutorial, available from the Help menu.

1 Like

Further to what @kewms advised,i recommend you pout your backups (Configured in Preferences) on your local disk. I save to ~/backups/scrivener/. fast and reliable. if you want them on the thumb drive also, just copy using Finder (or Explorer if using Windows) to that drive when inserted and ready.

Thumb drives fail more often than local drives.

Also good to have routine backups if your local disk. that routine backup will back up your Scrivener backups.

The other thing to think about is a cloud backup for the whole computer including scrivener. I use carbonite for my main computer and have over 500 gigs of music, digital pics, financial info and of course my Scrivener projects. it costs around 60 a year, but I look at it as digital insurance for priceless files like a book you are writing. So even if had fire at home, you are still safe or hard drive failure.