Scrivener V3 for Windows release date

Personally, I’m perfectly happy with the current version of Scrivener for Windows, so it’s no big deal if it’s released today, tomorrow, or whenever. That said, it would be nice to have the latest version 3 for Windows once it does come out, in case there’s anything useful there that will help me with my writing project. The day isn’t over, so maybe I’ll check back a little later. 8)

I’m not “perfectly” happy, but I am content to wait a bit longer if necessary. From what I understand of the developer’s comments, this was a major rewrite in a new development environment which should make subsequent versions much easier to implement and release. If that is true, the learning curve was quite steep and probably involved a lot of ‘do-overs’ of some features both new and existing.

V1.9 is . . . competent. It isn’t like I am doing without. I’d rather have it ‘right’ than have it ‘fast’.

StarDog wrote:

You said it better than did I. I think the good folks at LL have set expectations for a release today, so I’m rooting for them. But if they need more time to get it right, well, I’ll happily continue to use the prior version.

Latest status here: https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/scrivener-3-0-beta-release-candidate-10-download-links-change-list/38228/1

Release has been delayed.

Katherine

Yep, A few weeks, I see. I’m sure the software will be excellent.

Thank you for the information Katherine.
Thank you too to comments from SCN and StarDog2.

SCN, esp. thank you for your reply but I am curious how you determined a few more weeks. If I scroll to the bottom of:
https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/scrivener-3-0-beta-release-candidate-10-download-links-change-list/38228/1

For 28th August it just says:
Beta 22, version 2.9.0.22 RC2 has been posted.

Stephen, there was a posting there that mentioned it was delayed a few more weeks, but the posting is no longer there, I see. Also, at literatureandlatte.com/intr … crivener-3, there is this reference:

The words “later in 2019” are linked to [url]Scrivener 3.0 Beta - Release Candidate 10 (Download Links & Change List)].

I think it’s wise for the developer to avoid making any more release date promises. All that does is set, then dash, expectations and give LL a self-inflicted black eye.

Oh, wait. Here it is: Scrivener 3.0 Beta - Release Candidate 10 (Download Links & Change List)

Quoting:

Hi SCN,

Thank you for your replies.

I wouldn’t have thought of looking there because the date of that post is MON NOV 20, 2017 8:22 PM.
I was looking at the latest post at the bottom of the page.

Well done for spotting it.

I emailed support who also told me a few weeks.

I hope version 3 will blow the current version away, I have trouble creating tables and resizing them for example

Best Regards,

Steve

I’m not ‘perfectly happy’ with the current Scriivener for Windows, but like everyone else, I’m happy to wait for the new version to be done properly. Scrivener versions are always late - remember the heroic struggle to get the iOS version out the door!

I think I’d be happier if expectations were set correctly.
I’ve been keeping an eye on this page for months:
literatureandlatte.com/intr … crivener-3
It gave the release date as 30th August (since the previous delay) until yesterday presumably in response to my post.

Though I agree, we’ve all managed our whole lives without Scrivener 3 for Windows so a few more weeks won’t hurt :slight_smile:

Steve

@SCN: I noticed your tag “I’m writing my first novel, employing the Save the Cat beats and the Snowflake method.” and wanted to mention another excellent book on structure by Jessica Brody, called “Save The Cat! Writes A Novel”. She uses Blake Snyder’s books and fleshes out the beats much better, in my humble opinion.

Glad to see that the release will be made in a matter of weeks!

Looking forward to the new sleek overhaul. Good job team!

That is really shit when I check website again and again nothing find .Where is 3.0 for windows ? I don’t think always delay is for some technical problem . All of us are waiting for new version and you guys said nothing . what are they doing ? normally no 100% perfect software in this world …Obviously they are making a 100% perfect software. But it does not exist in this world .

literatureandlatte.com/blog … her-delays

Katherine

Developing software is like reading an ancient book of forbidden secrets. Sometimes, it does well. Sometimes, you don’t understand what you’re reading.

Sometimes, you wake up in a room, holding a blood covered knife with no idea how you ended up in New York or why the Swat Team is outside.

But the thing is, if you try to hold to a deadline, no matter what? You’ll release your product, people will be happy… until you get the frantic email that: It deleted my files! It corrupted the backups! this is my LIFE!

L&L want to make money. They will make money when the V3 is released, so I expect that any delays are due to working to stamp out issues that will cause problems down the road. For that, I can wait.

Disclaimer: Scrivener has no teleportation capabilities. If you wake up in a room in New York holding a bloody knife, it wasn’t us! :open_mouth:

Katherine

As sad as I was that the last release date didn’t happen, as an ex-techy married to a lifetime-techy, I get the challenges the developers at L&L are facing. Kudos to the entire team for all the hard work AND their dedication to putting out a product they can be proud of.

I’m guessing (from my own limited experience), they are trying to avoid being inundated with issues/bugs after release. If you think about how many of us are chomping at the bit to upgrade, they could potentially be receiving a LOT of messages/complaints, as all of us encounter bugs.

I am glad they are taking their time to make sure the product works correctly. My passion is my writing. It would devastate me to lose work because the program had a bug. (And yes, I do backups, but once I start working in v3, I don’t want to lose all the work I do after that point, if there’s a bug!)

Literature & Latte – You guys are the best. Don’t let us impatient users sway you from your dedication to a product that shines. I may be impatient, but I’d rather that than the heart attack I’d probably have if I lost everything. Thank you!

Anne

Hi guys, just want to mention that the latest Scrivener v3 Beta is stable, and you will not lose your work using it. This piece is solid for quite some time. The Compiler options and some Scriptwriting text formatting need further fixes. So give it a spin and enjoy, as we polish it further. Backups are always a must, even when using the official version of course.

Thank you for sharing this! I’m going to give the beta a try. (With backups from v1, of course.

Anne