Scrivener with WINE

Install cabextract (from your distro’s package manager or source)

1.) upgrade wine to 1.3.4 or 1.3.5 (1.3.5 is what i got it working on)
2.) use winetricks to install vcrun2008, vcrun6, and quartz.
3.) obtain a QtSvg4.dll and put it into ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 (or wherever this is found on your distro). These are freely obtained from the QT open source windows SDK.

Optional steps:

4.) If your pdf rendering is bad in imported files, use winetricks to install Quicktime 7. (thanks to darkhorse!)
5.) dotnet20 via winetricks will improve RTF importing.
6.) corefonts makes it look better

NB QtSvg4.dll may not be necessary anymore.

Also: disabling winegstreamer.dll (with WINE 1.3.6 and above) may improve performance

I’m having an issue with beta 4. I was able to get it to load perfectly once, and now I get an error every time I try to start it. Will update as I have more info.

Here’s what I get when I try to launch Scrivener from a terminal:

fixme:system:SetProcessDPIAware stub!
fixme:win:FlashWindowEx 0x32f258
fixme:userenv:GetUserProfileDirectoryW 0x2f4 (nil) 0x32fa04
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on HDA NVidia, disabling mixer
wine: Unhandled page fault on write access to 0x00dbcd38 at address 0x188daf (thread 0009), starting debugger…

Which version of WINE are you using? if it’s 1.3.6-1.3.8 try disabling winegstreamer.dll in winecfg. I had it crash on me until I did. I haven’t tried the most recent version of WINE yet.

I’m using Wine 1.3.9. Disabling winegstreamer didn’t work, unfortunately.

Did you try a “killall wineserver” before running Scrivener? I know sometimes it’ll hang and not exit when the program does.

Another thing you might want to try is deleting your .wine directory (and backing up any programs installed to .wine/drive_c/Program Files first.) It’ll mean reinstalling everything from winetricks, but there could be some cruft.

Okay, updated wine to version 1.3.9, using the same .wine directory as I had. I started/closed it three times, and it appears to be working for me.

Might want to try posting your complete terminal output to pastebin or something and try posting on the wine forums?

When you update wine, do you uninstall the last one? I’ve had issues with it when I don’t.

I didn’t uninstall wine, just had the new packages update the old one. Might try that though!

Okay…I know in the instructions it says to either do a “make uninstall” in the old source tree or dpkg -r wine or rpm -e wine. Also, when you disabled winegstreamer, did you forget the g?

Keep in mind you’re running Slackware, and I’m running Kubuntu. The package manager automatically tags wine for updating without any input on my part.

If I had to guess, I"m guessing something didn’t get cleaned up when the new one was installed. Have you tried starting over with a fresh .wine directory? YOu can do the same thing by giving it a different WINEPREFIX when starting it up. (I do this with WoW, because some of the winetricks needed for scrivener conflict.)

yeah, I’ll do that next. I’ve been holding off on that just because I’ve got other applications I run in WINE that I don’t want to mess with right now…

I know what you mean. I was having issues with file corruption and patching failing with WoW (why I really use WINE), since it uses a custom dll of the 2005 C++ distributable. What you could do for the other applications needing wine is start them (icon command for KDE) like:

env WINEPREFIX="/home/hildegard/.winewow" wine "/home/hildegard/World of Warcraft/Launcher.exe"

I keep Scrivener with the default wineprefix. If you specify a different WINEPREFIX, it’ll be created the first time you run the application.