Search box background color is wrong; possible UI bug

Hi,
I am very happy with Scrivener allowing user-defined paper color! This custom color is reflected only in part of the search box, I am afraid.
Clicking the Search icon (see blue circle below), reveals the Search box underneath and it reflects the paper color (red arrow) on its left and right side (red arrow) but not in the middle (green arrow). This is not visible when the paper is the default white color. I don’t think there is a way to define the color of this particular part of the search box so it looks like a bug in the UI.

Hope this helps and gets addressed :slight_smile:
Best regards and thanks for S3 for Win!
:slight_smile:
K

EDIT:
I think the beige color on the left and right side of the search box may be taken from my Win10 settings. I have this color set as a default “paper” color instead of the default white color. I assume this because I cannot find the beige color in the File/Options/Appereance… that, when changed, changes the left and right side of the search box.
If this is the case, it is still a little bug as the left and right side colors are drawn from different source than the middle text box.
Also, the upper line that forms the frame of the search box is missing above the search box.
I believe the search box should look like this (on my system):
Snap2

If paper white, still see magnifying glass and search window above editor window? Not sure issue

Creating a Theme, defining a different color for input boxes is possible:

This screenshot is from the LiterallyLatte Theme.
Scrivener 3 Themes (Windows)

@ AntoniDol
Good point!
I still can’t find the color in the File/Options/Appeareance, but choosing another Theme does alter the search box color.
I wonder what’s wrong with my theme then :-/ I may need to take a better look at the .prefs files.

That attribute has not been exposed in the UI. You have to modify the theme files by hand to tweak some of those elements.

1 Like

So, where have you defined this “paper color”?

You have managed to color the toolbars already…

Thank you for your kind replies. I will research the situation later this weekend. I’m currently on a deadline :smiley:
K

@ AntoniDol
re: So, where have you defined this “paper color”?
You have managed to color the toolbars already…

It’s been a while since I’ve installed S3, but I think the toolbar reads the color from Windows. I’ve had these colors in my Win7 theme and when I downgraded to Win10, some of the colors remained. I’ve adjusted the color of the paper in S3, but I believe I didn’t have to touch anything for the toolbar to be this color.
FYI these are the colors of my windows in Windows:

The former Win7 theme colors do propagate here and there but not everywhere where they used to be in Win7.

K

@ devinganger

re: That attribute has not been exposed in the UI. You have to modify the theme files by hand to tweak some of those elements.

I have that feeling too, but I don’t think we have any kind of tutorial for editing the theme files, do we?

K

Well, I wrote one, so there’s at least one. :crazy_face:

@ AntoniDol
I’ve noticed your thread here: Scrivener 3 Themes (Windows)
but that’s probably not what you hint at.
Or perhaps this? (HELP with themes! - #26 by Maerie)
Or this? (Mastering Scrivener: Scrivener 3 for Experienced Writers eBook : Dol, Antoni: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store) or rather here (https://www.kobo.com/ww/en/ebook/mastering-scrivener)
Thanks in advance!
K

1 Like

I haven’t taken a look at AntoniDol’s tutorial, but IIRC there are some UI elements that can be modified using standard Qt techniques, since the Scrivener for Windows UI is built on top of Qt.

Just in case anybody is interested, I will answer my own question. The tutorial @AntoniDol refers to is indeed in his book (good price, no DRM, good layout, good info - recommended) in chapter Configuring/Using Themes.
K

1 Like