Maybe I’m overlooking something simple. I am performing project searches using the search tool on the toolbar and recently the results show values only under “Status” (1 or 0) and “Label” fields, but the “Search Results” field is empty. How can I get something to show in that column again? Thanks!
I am on an Intel Mac, 2.0.5, keeping files on dropbox.
I’m not sure I’m entirely clear on what you’re describing. You run the project search, you view the results list in the binder, and you see items there but the items have no title, like this?
That would certainly happen if the documents are in fact untitled (as they are for the image I created here), but they’d look blank in your binder as well. (You could also have a multi-line title that has an empty line before the text, but it’d look about the same.)
If you don’t see the “search results” in the header at all, next to label and status, it’s probably just been moved over out of sight–is there a scrollbar at the footer of the binder?
If I’m totally misunderstanding, which seems likely, could you perhaps post a screenshot of what you’re seeing? (Hit Shift-Cmd-4, then drag the crosshairs over the selection; you’ll get an image file on your desktop which you can then upload and place into your forum post.)
You understood the problem perfectly.
Thanks for your suggestions, but:
- None of the documents are untitled
- None of the titles are multiline titled with an empty line as the first line
- The search results header is visible, just none of the titles are visble
However, when I hover over the non-displaying Search Results fields, I do get a yellow tooltip showing the path of the document and it’s name (shown in the snapshot attached here).
Here’s an snapshot of what it looks like. The term “subway” is one of the most commonly used words in my Scrivener project, and generates a lot of results.
Any other ideas?
Would it be possible to zip up the project and send it to me at kb-tech-support AT literatureandlatte DOT com? That doesn’t look right at all and I’d like to take a look to see what is going on.
All the best,
Somehow it is working fine once again. I’m not sure what happened to set it right again, except that I quit Scrivener and loaded the project again. I have seen this before, so it might crop up again. I would send you the project if I could, but it is confidential in nature. If it occurs in a project that is not sensitive, I will send it to you. Thanks for your help.
Next time it happens, could you please check ~/Library/Application Support/Scrivener/Logs and see if there is a console.log file there, and if so post the contents? I bet an error was thrown of some sort.
It has happened again today, and I checked the log but the log file is empty.
Did you grab the log file straight after it happened? The log file gets wiped the next time you open the app.
Yes, I looked at the file both while Scrivener was open and after I closed it. In both cases the file was 0 kb and empty.
I’m afraid I’m baffled at the moment. One thing - in the screenshot, the status has numbers (“1”, “2” etc) - is it supposed to? I’m wondering if that is messed up as well.
What happens if you hit cmd-9 when the binder has the focus to expand all - if you scroll through, can you see any items that are blank?
Status displays an integer starting from 0. Those integers seem to correspond to the default status options in Scrivener. I did not name them this way as I don’t really make use the status feature yet. 0 seems to correspond to “No Status” and 1 corresponds to “N/A”, 2 to “To Do”, etc.
So, I guess the short answer is that status display in search results is also messed up for me.
I hit cmd-9 and scrolled through everything. There were three items in the trash that had no title and no content, which I then just filled in with gibberish so there was some content present. This made no difference though.
Could you please zip up and send the project to me at kb-tech-support AT literatureandlatte DOT com? Please make sure that the search is messed up and visible before zipping up the project and sending it, though, so that I can see it for myself on opening the project.
All the best,
Just sent you the project. Thanks for your help!
Great, thanks! I’ll have a look at it first thing in the morning and let you know what I find.
All the best,
Just to let you know that I finally figured this out:
Thanks for sending the project - I couldn’t reproduce it at first, but it turned out that the bug only showed itself on the second time I opened the project, because it had to write some bad data to the preferences first. It was only coming back to it afresh after another user reported the same issue that I realised this.
All the best,