Section Links Add Second Editor Window

I’m experimenting with section links compiled into a DOCX file.

I find that when using those links, Scrivener splits the editor window. Is there any way to tell it not to split the window?

Thanks.

I’m not totally clear what the circumstances are (do you mean you’re in Word, opening the section links back in Scrivener?) but in general the options which govern how clicked links are treated are in General Preferences > Behaviours > Document Links.

Each of the possibilities for opening links has three options: Current Editor; Other Editor; Quick Reference Panel.

So the first thing I’d do is check what’s there and play around with the options — I suspect you want Current Editor.

HTH.

And if you mean external links (if you edit the link, you see a URL like “x-scrivener-item://”), such as though added by the compile option to insert link-backs into the document, then how those work will follow the same preference described above.

You can actually change how the URL itself works, by adding URL parameters, as documented in Table 10.1, pg. 219. You can open a split in a precise orientation, use Quick Reference, and even open multiple documents at once. But all of that is probably of more use to programmers integrating with Scrivener.

Yes, that’s what I meant, and your reply solved it. Thanks.