Short story compile question

Using the Short Story template, I have a folder called “Story” and then individual notes within that for each story section. After finishing, I wanted to write a blog post about how Scrivener can be useful for small projects as well as large ones, so I added a folder called “Article” at the same level as “Story” and added a note for my blog post. (“Article” is also at the same level as “Characters” and “Places.”) Now I can’t figure out how to get this article to compile. “Include in Compile” is checked but it does not show up in the Contents of the compile step. Any suggestions as to what I am missing? (I guess this question would also apply to elements like “Character” and “Places” and “Research.”)
Thanks in advance!
John

It sounds to me as though the Article folder is not actually in the Draft, since you mention it as being similar to “Character” and “Places”, a couple of top-level folders provided in some of the starter templates. These cannot be compiled until you indent them beneath the Draft. The state of their “Include in Compile” checkboxes is irrelevant until they are in there. The reason we leave them accessible even when they are not immediately relevant is so you can better manage document templates, or sheets, (notes you left for easily duplication), and so chunks of draft structure can be swapped in and out without losing that flag.

Now since you are wanting to put two fundamentally different things in the same Draft folder, you will want to compile in the same way that other people do when working this way. In the Contents compile option pane at the top, you’ll be given the choice to select one top-level folder to consider “the draft”. This way you can have a “Story” folder and an “Article” folder at the top level in Draft, and select one of those to compile with. You may also want to save your compile settings for both, as a preset, to make switching between the two even easier.

Many thanks for “turning on the :bulb: 's” for me!!

If anyone is interested, I wrote a brief blog post about using Scrivener for short stories as well as for novels, screenplays, and non-fiction. It is at: http://jwnelson.net/scrivener-and-the-short-story/