Show Line Numbers shows paragraph numbers

Hi all. Totally new to Scrivener, finding out that it is a great tool for editing my first book. In editor, I want total control over my page numbers. I know that my book will have 28 lines. When i go to Show Line numbers, it really show me paragraph numbers. So, line 1 “keep going” until I have made a new (indented) paragraph, and there number 2 shows up in the left margin. However, in terms of lines, Im on line 10.

What am i doing wrong here? I enclose a screenshot. Thank you so much for helping a newbie out!

Skärmavbild 2014-01-20 kl. 11.35.54.png

You’re doing nothing wrong - line numbers are intended for poetry more than anything, and they count “hard” lines, which are indeed not really any different to paragraphs in practice. I can’t think of anything off-hand that counting soft-wrapped lines would be used for, and counting them would take more processing power and possibly slow down typing anyway. For your situation, I would instead recommend just using page layout view and setting it up so that it is the correct size. Even then, though, if you are planning to export your work to a different word processor at the end of the process, lines may not wrap the same way, because of the different layout engines used by different programs.

All the best,
Keith

hey Keith,

I think you are spot on! Thx!

Lawyers use line numbers for reference in negotiating contracts and deposition transcripts.

Exactly. When I send transcripts to my clients and they’re reviewing them with the rest of the team they like to be able to refer to things such as “pg.30, Line 15”, or just “line 752” or some such. At the moment that’s the only reason I still need to use Word - I compile from Scriv, then open in Word to turn on the line numbering.

But point taken:

Not only that, but in Scrivener it is highly likely that the line numbers you see in the editor (for soft-wrapped lines) wouldn’t match what was in the compiled document anyway, once titles and so on were added. They’d only ever be accurate if the document was in page view and printed off using Print Current Document using the same page settings as page view, and given that Scrivener is really built around Compile, that would be quite a limitation.

For what it’s worth, academia uses line numbers to communicate reviews from journals and co-authors. Anytime I get reviews back from a journal or a colleague they’re always organized by line number. It comes as a huge surprise that Scrivener doesn’t incorporate this functionality. This, and native linking to citation managers like Zotero would make Scrivener super competitive in academic circles.

You commenting on a thread 9 years old. This has been discussed in other threads here. Simple solution: compile to Word, turn on line numbers, print to PDF, send out. Just a few minutes, at most.

1 Like

@rms Thanks for taking the time to respond to this old thread. Apologies for choosing the wrong thread. Regardless, creating something with line numbers is not the issue–as your suggested fix clearly points out. It’s when reviewers/co-authors respond with line-by-line edits, that I then have to respond to in Scrivener that’s a nuisance.

Note that this could potentially become troublesome (dysfunctional, even), since line numbers would change per the editor’s width. Meaning that your correspondent would have to have the exact same settings as you. Up to screen size and resolution.
The further down a document, the more the numbers would differ/drift apart.
Where paragraph’s numbers never change.

You’d otherwise have to persistently work in page view, using Scrivener as if it was intended as a WYSIWYG software. (Both of you. Or just you, if we’re talking of a print-out, set to the print size you gave whoever.)
Or use fix width editors, set to a value accommodating whichever of the correspondents have the least display size for a monitor.

I am not convinced that’d be so much better…
My two cents.
. . . . . . . .

You could “cheat” by making each sentence its own paragraph. That’s how I work my printouts. (More space to scribble. Plus numbers that always match, no matter what.)
Paragraphs you’d define using double carriage returns.
Once done composing, set it all back right. (Using project replace, that takes about 5, maybe 10 minutes max.)
That is what I do and it works fine.

Once done composing, replace:
1- ¶¶ with ⸿ (any symbol from the character map that you are certain you didn’t use anywhere yet in your project.)
2- ¶ with a space.
3- ⸿ with ¶

@Vincent_Vincent you make a very good point. 2 quality cents indeed. Thanks for sharing, I’ll have to try your technique.

1 Like