Single style, multiple formats.

What I want to do is have a single style, such as an itemized list style. Then when a block of text is assigned that style it will be compiled into the result appropriate for one of two different formats.

I started with the General Non-fiction LaTeX template. It has a style defined called itemized list.
It has a special compilation target named LaTeX (Memoir Book). I use this target to create a TeX file. This works as expected.

I need another format that compiles to plain text. This is suitable for sharing with others while the draft is being developed.

An itemized list of fruit.
itemized-list.png

When I examine the style in the LaTex format it looks like this.

The TeX produced is appropriate.

\begin{itemize} \item Apples \item Bananas \item Pears \item Grapes \end{itemize}

I can see this is because of the prefix and suffix defined for the style.

When I create a style with the same name in a new, plain text, format it looks like this.

Because the format would be plain text the style would need to be a paragraph style, with some bullet characters inserted. I see no way to create the paragraph style here. If I create a block of plain text, formatted with the appropriate paragraph style, then create a new style from it, I suspect it would be a workable style. The problem would be that I need the style to be the same name …
The style shown above does not alter the text when compiling for the plain text format. It was not given instruction for how to alter the text.

Apples Bananas Pears Grapes

This is promising but not exactly what I need.

What I want is something like this for the plain text.

•	Apples
	•	Bananas
	•	Pears
	•	Grapes

Really I think I need the same style, but have its implementation be different for the different compile formats.

What is the best way to do this?

Okay this is a bit embarrassing. While my question remains, I found the solution for the itemized list. A paragraph style was not required.

•   Apples
   •   Bananas
   •   Pears
   •   Grapes

I added a prefix of spaces and a bullet character.

The outstanding question for me is:

How may I apply a paragraph style for cases where it would be necessary in the plain text format and preserve the prefix solution for the LaTeX format?
Imagine an example where the TeX format would include a prefix and suffix, but the plain text would require a paragraph style.

Plain text is unstyled by definition. If it has any special formatting, it is no longer plain text.

Katherine

Okay. It seems paragraph style works differently than I thought. I thought perhaps that paragraph style altered the whitespace of a paragraph. Changing whitespace would not require character style changes, like changing the font, face, or weight.

Plain text examples:

A.

Apples
Bananas
Pears
Grapes

B.

Apples
		Bananas
			Pears
	Grapes

C.

Apples Bananas Pears Grapes

Maybe I need to use some kind of post processing? Such as always producing a semantic format, like TeX, then processing the TeX back to plain text using a processor like pandoc.

So Scrivener can not alter only the whitespace for a block of text using a style or other means?

See Section 15.6.2 in the manual for more information about editor styles, Section 24.5 for a discussion of the interaction between styles and the Compile command.

A paragraph style can change an indent or tab stop, but it won’t edit text. That is, it won’t apply a tab that doesn’t already exist, won’t insert or remove carriage returns or bullets, etc. Moreover, the Compile command can change the definition of a style, but it won’t apply a style where none existed before.

Katherine

Styles in Plain Text

The prefix/suffix fields are options of styles, you cannot have these things without styles, or to put it another way, the TeX format is using a Paragraph Style. You can tell from your first screenshot because the “Itemised List” style has a blue “¶” symbol next to it.

In plain text terms, the distinction between a paragraph style and a character style is purely in terms of the scope of its application to text. The former broadly impacts lines of text, and has the capability of wrapping contiguous lines of styled text in container code (hence the \begin{…} \end{…} bits), while character styles have the ability to insert container code within paragraphs, and to be stacked on top of paragraph styles.

They have, at the core, nothing to do with visual formatting; there is no such thing as a font switch in the middle of a plain-text file, so character styles are not for that, they are for handling chunks of inline semantic text that do not conform to the line-based unit of measurement. I would say, in this definition and way of thinking, the Section Layout is actually another form of style, working on a unit of measurement even larger than lines of text, but having many of the same properties and capabilities as paragraph styles.

Paragraph Spacing

Moving on from scope to process, in plain-text terms, we can think of styles as performing a series of roles, at different stages of the compile process. Since Scrivener is internally a rich text editor, your document starts out the compile phase as a word processing file. It has indents, paragraph spacing, fonts—all things that will by the end of the process be utterly irrelevant. But during the compile process there are “hooks” here and there that can turn these soft GUI-world formats into functional syntax, or even approximations of whitespace using literal characters.

So your understanding of a paragraph style in a word processing sense is correct, it is a way of changing the “shape” of a paragraph by adjusting the whitespace around it, and not have any impact on boldness or other attributes. In Scrivener however, a paragraph style definitely can change the font (see those checkboxes along the bottom!). Again—not too relevant to plain-text, but just for the record, know it’s not purely paragraph shape.

Now one of those “hooks” I speak of, relevant to the shape of a paragraph, is found in the Transformations compile option pane. In fact the LaTeX template is set up to take advantage of it with a few switches. To see what I mean here, first click on Section Layouts, and then select something like the “Subsection” layout. Note the paragraph text here is greyed out—we aren’t having the compiler run any RTF processing on the text. But if we click the Override text and notes formatting setting, and then examine the paragraph spacing with the Format ▸ Paragraph ▸ Line and Paragraph Spacing… command, you’ll find we’re adding a near full empty line between paragraphs.

It would ordinarily be an utterly pointless gesture where it comes to plain-text—except when you tick the Convert to plain text setting in Transformations, using the default setting of converting paragraph formatting (which may come from styles, but they don’t have to, as we just illustrated) to spacing. That purely visual empty line becomes a double carriage-return in the physical output, thus allowing one to write using a more word processor style approach to paragraph entry in the main editor.

This tool can create indents as well (using spaces). To see a practical example of that, take a look at the Markdown Outline compile Format. This will create an indented asterisk list out of your binder hierarchy, suitable for Markdown processing.

That all said, personally I would take the approach you did already, and just put the spacing into the Style Prefix for the itemised list. Enabling the global whitespace converter simply to insert four spaces or whatever in front of a bullet strikes me as over kill—but if you have other things you might need it for, it’s worth playing with.

That helps. Thank you.