Small Q: Automatic document names

It used to be the case that scrivener would automatically make the first line of the document the title of the document. This was useful to me as I have lots of smaller documents in the chapters, and don’t want to have to think of a name for each part that readers would never see. Is there a way to enable this again?

I do still get an italic title but you can see where my files from the old version end and the new version begin. And in the corkboard no titles appear. I can make do with this but would like the uniformity.

It would be really cool if I could set it up for documents to be automatically named after meta data, e.g. + #, but I’m guessing that isn’t a feature.

We did anticipate this problem, and added a command that can be used to make your titles uniformly treated:

1. Select the old “black text” titles that were created in the previous version of the software.
  2. Use the Documents ▸ Auto-Fill ▸ Clear Title menu command.

You should find the new method generally superior to how it worked in the past, where revisions to the first line would not be reflected in the title. Now it is a direct mirror of that text rather than a set title.

There is no title on the corkboard unless you have typed in a title. If you have no synopsis or title then it just shows the longer preview in the synopsis area, and if you’ve typed in a synopsis it will be using that for the automatic title anyway, so there is no sense in repeating it.

You can read more about all of this in the user manual, under §7.2, Titles and Adaptive Naming.

1 Like

Thank you, this will work fine!

Question - I recently tried this and it didn’t update - I reworded the first line in the editor of a binder item that was using the first line as a title, but it didn’t rename the binder?

Does this not work when the first line starts with <$n>, or <$r>?
(Or…maybe I may have previously used “Set text as title”, not sure)

You’ll be able to tell the difference by the font used to print the title. It is in almost every place (menus are an exception for instance) a lighter grey and italic text, if the title is pulling from the index card or text, and black/white upright text if it is “static”.

It will also update as you type, or after a brief pause.

(macOS capture; there might be different delay speeds on PC.)

1 Like

Oh happy dance! Thank you Ioa! This will make playing with my numbering sooo much easier!

1 Like