snapshot advice

I’ve got round to spending another few hours with this great-looking product! I’ve got some text documents in a folder in Draft, which is otherwise empty. What do I have to select to make a snaphshot with Take Snapshot of Selection - the folder, or the selected documents, the folder and the selected documents, or the folder after clicking Edit Scrivenings…? Whatever I try, I can’t get a sensible snapshot to appear reliably… They are usually empty.

The console is saying this:

31/01/2008 19:52:07 Scrivener[5875] passed-in style: Alignment 4, LineSpacing 0, ParagraphSpacing 0, ParagraphSpacingBefore 24, HeadIndent 14, TailIndent 184, FirstLineHeadIndent 14, LineHeight 0/0, LineHeightMultiple 0, LineBreakMode 0, Tabs ( ), DefaultTabInterval 0, Blocks (null), Lists (null), BaseWritingDirection -1, HyphenationFactor 0, TighteningFactor 0.05, HeaderLevel 0, saved style: Alignment 4, LineSpacing 0, ParagraphSpacing 0, ParagraphSpacingBefore 24, HeadIndent 14, TailIndent 184, FirstLineHeadIndent 14, LineHeight 0/0, LineHeightMultiple 0, LineBreakMode 0, Tabs ( ), DefaultTabInterval 0, Blocks (null), Lists (null), BaseWritingDirection -1, HyphenationFactor 0, TighteningFactor 0.05, HeaderLevel 0, isEqual: 1

a lot, but this may be just a coincidence…

That console read-out is just a bit of debugging code I accidentally left in 1.11 (it’s removed for 1.12, out in a month or so). It is completely harmless.

As for snapshots - I have renamed “Take Snapshots of Selection” to “Take Snapshots of Selected Documents” in the next version. You select the documents in the binder that contain the text you want to take a snapshot of.

Best,
Keith

Ah, I see. Now I think I see what my problem is. If I select all the documents in the folder in the binder, only the last document is shown in the central window, and that’s the only one that gets into the snapshot.

It still doesn’t feel quite right to me… Must do some more research.

Well, it also depends on what has the focus. If the focus is inside the text view (editor), then the document there is the only one that will have a snapshot taken. If the focus is in the binder and several documents are selected, then all of those will have a snapshot taken. If the focus is in the corkboard… And so on.
Best,
Keith

Hmm 1.12? I thought SCR was frozen for now? Keith shouldn’t you be busy writing that Sci-Fi novel? :slight_smile:

Will 1.13 have the exploding sheep? lol

I’m going to try all this tomorrow, when my head is clearer. I think that the interaction between the Navigation preferences and the binder selection behaviour and the behaviour of snapshotting is subtle and that is probably confusing me. I’ve yet to take a successful snapshot of this folder … :slight_smile:

Thanks anyway for the ongoing advice!

Ah, more light has dawned (at dusk, too). I think I’m now starting to understand Scrivener’s selection and snapshot mechanisms…

If you select two documents and Take Snapshot of Selection, and then immediately look at the Snapshot menu, the Show Snapshots item is grey, because that item is context-dependent. So you can’t inspect snapshots until you’ve de-selected a set of documents and selected each individual one. And you can see the snapshots only for an individual document. Also, presumably, you can’t snapshot a scrivenings display - it only gets the first document that you’d selected (or something)…

Yes, it all seems so obvious now… :slight_smile:

How about - if my understanding is correct, the Show Snapshots menu saying the name of the document for which snapshots would be shown, or Show Snapshots for Document.

Anyway, it’s a cool feature!

Can I have one more question? :slight_smile:

If the Snapshot feature is per document, is there a way of snapshotting the order of documents - such that you can try different orders…?

No, no way of doing that, I’m afraid. It would be a nice future feature but it would be very complicated to add, so that’s the sort of thing I might look at for 2.0.
Thanks,
Keith