Snapshots

I have my manuscript divided into folders for each chapter. Each chapter folder holds several text documents that serve as scenes. I know I can take a snapshot of each text document (scene), but is there a way to take a “group” snapshot at the folder level? or even larger, at the manuscript level?

To clarify, as a test, I did the following:

1. Took a snapshot of a folder.
  2. Made a change to a sub-document (scene)
  3. Rolled back to the folder snapshot.
  4. Reviewed the sub-document … the changes were still present. So, I know taking a snapshot of a folder has no effect on sub-documents.

What I’m asking is … is there a way to do that? I’d like to take periodic snapshots of my entire manuscript without having to wade through each sub-document of each chapter folder.

Thanks!

Since folders can themselves contain text (and can be converted to text documents and vice versa), the snapshot feature acts on them identically to documents, i.e. it is saving the text just of that single item. You can however take snapshots of multiple items simultaneously by selecting them all in the binder first; the command then becomes Documents > Snapshots > Take Snapshots of Selected Documents. So you can easily shift-click your Draft, or just the subdocuments of a particular folder, and then take a snapshot of them all before you start editing. I like doing this with the titled snapshot option so it’s easy to give them all a version number or such.

Something some people do instead is create a new top-level folder, call it “Rev. 1” or whatever, and then select the contents of the draft and use the duplicate feature to make a copy of it. Then drag the duplicates into the new folder you created and set it aside. Now you have a full copy of the text as well as the order in which they occur—meaning you can now see how that evolves as well.

Thank you both for the replies! Both are fantastic suggestions.

The multi-select works great for creating snapshots. It appears to create individual snapshots of each selected document, which strikes me as the “right” way to do it. That offers the most flexibility in rollbacks.

Since the rollback feature is available when multiple items are selected, I wondered if it might do a group rollback as well. It doesn’t. Instead it appears to only rollback the topmost item selected. You [i.e. Scrivener programmers] might want to consider disabling rollbacks during a multi-select in order to avoid confusion … OR … only show rollbacks that are common to all selected items and then roll all of them back.

ALSO, I noticed something with a forum search about comparing snapshots to current text or other snapshots. Is that only available for the Mac version?

You’re correct both that the snapshots are created individually for each item and that multiple items cannot be rolled back simultaneously. The inspector (where the rollback button is located) only ever displays (and only can display) the information for a single document. There’s a bug here however where the inspector isn’t displaying correctly for a multiple selection (it should only then show project notes and project references, which are not document-specific) and instead is displaying the information for the top item in the selection. Thus when you look at the snapshots, you’re just seeing the list for that item, and the rollback is for that, but I agree it’s not as clear due to the interface bug.

The comparison feature for snapshots is currently only available in the Mac version, yes. It is possible in the Windows version however to adjust the width of the inspector and the height of the snapshot display, so it’s not difficult to get a nice set up for comparing two versions side by side, one in the editor and one in the inspector. You can select and drag text from the snapshot to copy it to the editor.

Your description of the interface bug makes what is happening with the multi-select rollback crystal clear!

Will enhanced group functionality be added at some point? I would love to select several items and change meta-data(status or labels) or keywords for all.

Thanks!

NOTE: I figured out how to accomplish this with keywords. Simply select what I want in the binder (or corkboard, outline, etc.) then drag-and-drop the desired keywords from the Keywords Window (Ctl + Shft + O) to my selection. Now that I’m beginning to see the power of keywords and collections … wow!

Still haven’t found a way to change meta-data(labels or status) for a group yet, but I imagine there is. Really loving the power of Scrivener more and more!

Yes, you can change the meta-data for label and status on groups of items. With them selected, right-click on the selection and the sub-menus for these two fields will be applied to all of them. It sounds like you’ve already figured out how to handle keywords in bulk, too. So you should be set. :slight_smile:

Perfect! :slight_smile:

OK … one more question … for now …

I see how to set up keywords, apply them in bulk, and use them to generate custom, dynamic collections. I can even convert a dynamic collection to a standard collection. However, with the search results/collections, I don’t see my original folder structure.

I realize this is because the search results are considering the folder and sub-documents as separate entities (that is, separate search results). But it would be nice to see the original folder structure. If I select a folder in the collection and view scrivenings, then I see all of the sub-documents in the editor, but I don’t see the structure in the collection.

Is there a way to do this? Or am I just thinking about this the wrong way?

Thank you for the help!

I’m not quite sure I grasp what you’re after, but if you just want to see the items in place in the binder, you can select the search results and then choose View > Reveal in Binder. This will switch you back to the regular binder view with all the search results selected. It’s just a regular selection though, so it might be more transient than what you’re wanting.

If you’re trying to see how items with a given label or keyword fall within the structure, maybe viewing the whole manuscript in the outliner or corkboard with that information displayed would work? The outliner can’t yet show keywords, but you can add a label column or even set the label to colour the row. The corkboard can also show label colour in the cards and keywords as colour chips on the side.

Sorry for the lag in reply. I think the difference is the binder shows a heirarchical tree view, whereas the search results/collections show a flat list view. I was “instinctively” looking for a tree view in collections. Your suggestions are great! Really appreciate the help!