Some issues

First off I would like to congratulate the vigorous and talented team for a superb new version of Scrivener for Windows. Thank you for all of your efforts.

I would like to point out some issues that I have encountered while working with Scrivener.

PORTUGUESE SPELLER:

Scrivener underlines accented letters as errors.
Ex.: é ò à
Phrases to exemplify:

• Hoje é sábado.
  • Ò Matias vais hoje à escola?

Scrivener doesn’t recognize plurals. Underlines them as misspelled.

POETRY writing.

When writing poetry, Scrivener capitalizes the first letter of the next line.

Ex.

John is a tall man with the look
Of a child recusing to grow up.

OPTIONS window.

I am testing Scrivener with a 13 inches Acer laptop. When I go to Options (F12) the Apply and OK buttons aren’t visible. I am not able to make it visible when I try to resize from the top. It doesn’t move at all.

Thanks.

I’ve also had a handful of plurals and present-tense verbs mistakenly highlighted as spelling errors (not every case, but a few – ‘reminds’ as an example that keeps cropping up in my work), so seconding that little issue. I’m using UK English as my dictionary, if that makes a difference.

RE the poetry issue, does it help to deselect ‘fix capitailsation of sentences’ under Options > Corrections? That seemed to prevent new-line words from auto-capitalising when I tried it.

Agreed. UK English is full of omissions

Jeco, it’s traditional to capitalise the first words of lines of poetry in English, so in that respect Scrivener is only following standard practice.

If you prefer not to have the first word capitalised, then use Shift-Return[1] (instead of just Return) at the end of each line, and Return at the end of each verse. This makes each verse into a paragraph, which has other benefits (eg you can then navigate by verse using the Next / Previous Paragraph shortcuts. On the Mac it’s alt-up/down, not sure what it is on Windows – ctl-up/down?)

HTH.

[1] I think it’s shift-return on Windows: it’s Ctl-return on the Mac.

Thank you v.m. for all the replies and suggestions regarding the poetry issue. I’m going to try them.

Take care.

That sounds like an error in the dictionary. L&L has not edited the dictionaries; they’re merely using hunspell dictionaries from various sources.

I looked at the English-us-gb dictionary (the .dic file), and the entry for “remind” is

remind/G

/G includes these rules in the .aff file:

SFX G Y 24 SFX G e ing [^eioy]e SFX G 0 ing [eoy]e SFX G ie ying ie SFX G 0 bing [^aeio][aeiou]b SFX G 0 king [^aeio][aeiou]c SFX G 0 ding [^aeio][aeiou]d SFX G 0 fing [^aeio][aeiou]f SFX G 0 ging [^aeio][aeiou]g SFX G 0 king [^aeio][aeiou]k SFX G 0 ling [^aeio][eiou]l SFX G 0 ing [aeio][eiou]l SFX G 0 ling [^aeo]al SFX G 0 ing [aeo]al SFX G 0 ming [^aeio][aeiou]m SFX G 0 ning [^aeio][aeiou]n SFX G 0 ping [^aeio][aeiou]p SFX G 0 ring [^aeio][aeiou]r SFX G 0 sing [^aeio][aeiou]s SFX G 0 ting [^aeio][aeiou]t SFX G 0 ving [^aeio][aeiou]v SFX G 0 zing [^aeio][aeiou]z SFX G 0 ing [aeio][aeiou][bcdfgkmnprstvz] SFX G 0 ing [^aeiou][bcdfgklmnprstvz] SFX G 0 ing [^ebcdfgklmnprstvz]

The dictionary should be updated to include the possibility of an “s” suffix, which would mean changing the entry to

remind/GS

I’m not sure why this hasn’t been done. However…

I’m also not sure where L&L obtained this dictionary.

You can replace it, if you wish, with a larger English-en-GB dictionary. Here’s how:

See http://app.aspell.net/create?defaults=en_GB-large.

Click on SCOWL size and select one (I used 95: insane).
Click on spelling variants and select one (I used 3, seldom used).
Select the spelling variants you want (I selected both GB -ise and GB -ize)

Click download as Hunspell dictionary. Wait some seconds (may take a little bit, but not terribly long).

You should be prompted to save hunspell-en-custom.zip.

Use an unzip utility to decompress it into its own folder (hunspell-en-custom). I use 7zip (free).
Open that folder.
rename the contents: en-custom.dic → en-GB.dic
and en-custom.aff → en-GB.aff

Exit Scrivener if you haven’t already.

In your Scrivener 3 directory (Program Files → [the Scriv 3 directory, whatever you used during install; default is Scrivener], open hunspell → dict → English-en-gb

rename the existing files: en-GB.dic → en-GB.dic.old
and en-GB.aff → en-GB.aff.old

copy the entire contents of your hunspell-en-custom folder into this folder.

Restart Scrivener.

The new dictionary should be now in use.

Scrivener does not care what dictionary is there, but it needs both the dic file and the aff file to be named the way it expects (rename the custom files exactly as stated. dashes, not underlines).

If for some reason this does not work, you can delete the custom files, rename the .old files to what they were before (take off the .old suffix) and Scrivener will not know the difference.

Thank you so much, rwfranz – really appreciate the detailed instructions, and the imported dictionary works perfectly. :smiley: