Spell Checker

I did have a look through the forum but couldn’t see if this had been asked before.

I’m having problems with words containing special characters in the spell checker. I can add them to the dictionary with no problems and they’re recognized correctly, however if I subsequently misspell them and rightclick to get a list of suggestions, they appear in that list with the special character rendered as an M, meaning I can’t do a simple substitution. Am I missing something or is there no way around this?


Scrivener uses the Aspell dictionaries for spell checking, so I’m not sure straight off where the bug is and how simple a matter it will be to fix. Could you let us know what dictionary language you’re using and give an example of a word that’s demonstrating this issue? I tried for example adding résumé to the English UK dictionary and it then appeared correctly in the suggestion list if I right-clicked on ressume.

I wonder in fact if the issue is the interface font not supporting the character. You might want to try changing the font for Windows & Menus in the Appearance tab of Tools > Options. You may need one that includes a greater selection of unicode characters.

Oh, that was such a good idea. I changed the font to Times New Roman, which is what I write in and what the special characters appear in and nope, unfortunately it didn’t work. :frowning:

Okay, I’m using the British English dictionary and a sample word would be ‘Hanatarō’, a romaji rendition of a Japanese name. I use quite a few words which require either ō or ū, and though I’ve put short-cuts in auto-replace, this is just an annoying niggle. And, yes, I have tried putting them in long hand, clearing them out of the spellchecker and putting them back in and even whistling Dixie as I tried it, all to no avail :slight_smile:

Bumping this to hopefully get an answer.

Whoops, sorry! I was able to reproduce it with the example you suggested, but I haven’t got a solution for it at the moment, I’m afraid. It’s on the bug list.

Meanwhile, adding these to the project auto-completion list is probably best, although I know it may mean spending a while dumping them in. That list is maintaining the correct characters and you can pop it up when first writing the word to avoid the misspelling and subsequent correction. It sounds like you’re already doing this, though.

Cool. If it’s a bug I can live with it. I just wanted to check I hadn’t missed anything obvious and yeah, I do have them on the auto-correction list. Hopefully a future update will solve the issue. In the meantime, thanks for answering.