split doesn't work at the very beginning?

I often like to split at the very beginning to create a document under a folder with body text and move the body text there. Currently I have to add some dummy text before, like a new line, then do command-K, then remove the new text. Same thing for splitting with title. Is it possible to configure this in 2.0 to work even at the beginning?

Nothing fundamental has changed about the split command, it will still need something to split in two, so when placing the caret at the very beginning or the very end of a document—there is nothing to split. :slight_smile:

You might try working in the other direction with your logic. Instead of creating a folder with some text and then branching downward with the body text, start with the body text in your document, and then use Cmd-Opt-G to enclose that file in a folder.

Splitting at the beginning happens when I import an MMD file, then convert something to a folder, then want to demote the text into a child document. When I’m writing manually, I wouldn’t do that… I think. :slight_smile:

Ah, I was wondering how you were getting that setup by default. Well try the Cmd-Opt-G thing and see if that works for you instead of converting that first one to a folder. That’s basically “make this a folder; copy the text into a new file; and demote that file beneath the new folder” all in one single keystroke.