Spontaneous Font Change

Pertinent details:

1. I have never fussed with full screen mode before tonight.

2. When I first fuss with something, I tend to tweak it every five minutes or seconds. (That might be why I swiftly lose interest in programs with interfaces that I fail to comprehend within five minutes, even when I can tell it could be moderately useful, if I bothered to figure it out.)

3. I’m using Scrivener 1.5.3 on Mac OS 10.5.7.

4. My default font is size 10 Verdana.

5. I don’t recall having spontaneous changes of my default font for, well, years. I remember that it used to happen a lot with AppleWorks.

What happened:

I’ve been toying with full screen, drafting a short story in a handwriting font I found free for non-commercial use online. (I’ve also set custom background and text override colors and such.) I realized the font I was using lacked italics, so I poked through my font book to create a division of handwriting-type fonts that have italics.

I changed the font to one and wrote a hundred words or so. I decided that didn’t fit the character, so I checked out my too-small list of choices and picked a different one. (Note: each time I messed with the font, I also had liberal fun adjusting font size.) All went fine and dandy for at least twenty words, when in the midst of typing a sentence, in the middle of a paragraph, it suddenly changed to Lucida Grande.

I don’t believe Lucida Grande is my font default for anything.

And please forgive me if I’m not entirely coherent. I’m tired, haven’t been sleeping well, and am trying to quickly get my 500 words of fiction written for tonight before I go to bed.

EDIT: Nothing in Console.

EDIT 2: I realize the shift probably happened when I tried to make a symbol not in the font I was using, but what’s bewildering me is that it changed to Lucida Grande, and not to my default font.
Picture 1.png

Hi Carradee,

Unfortunately this isn’t so bewildering to me. Although Helvetica is the underlying default font for the entire text system (although in Scrivener you set a different default font), Lucida Grande is OS X’s default system font, and if the text system gets confused in some way and suddenly has no idea what font to use, it seems to revert to Lucida Grande. This sometimes happens while users are making lists using the built-in OS X bullets and lists system, for instance. In your case, it was caused by adding a symbol that wasn’t provided by your chosen font. At that point, the text system would have had to choose a default font for that symbol given that it didn’t have one to use, otherwise it wouldn’t be able to insert the symbol at all. So it inserted it in Lucida Grande. The typing attributes in the text system just use the current formatting of the character next to the insertion point, so as soon as it did that, any typing you do after that point would be in Lucida Grande. Usually backspacing a few characters and then typing again should reset the typing attributes.

All the best,
Keith

Ah, okay. Sorry for wasting your time, Keith. :blush:

Not wasting my time at all. :slight_smile: It’s just one of the annoyances of the text system, unfortunately, although I suppose it is sort of understandable in this case.
All the best,
Keith

Carradee, you’ve given me the best giggle of my weekend. Considering I am miserable from a nasty cold, I have to thank you double. :smiley: :smiley:

My first response was stop fiddling so endlessly with your fonts and you’ll get your 500 words done a lot more quickly (personally I try not to look at the screen at all).

But my second, more honest, response was one of pure empathy. You would not believe the hours and hours I have spent (I will NOT say wasted, despite the condemnation of nearly everyone I’ve complained to) trying to settle on an acceptable keyboard. It’s absolutely CRITICAL to my being able to compose decently, as I’m sure you’ll understand. Right now I have ten–count them, 10–stacked up on various bookcases. This holy grail quest has consumed countless days and unfathomable dollars, and will no doubt continue. At the moment I am typing fairly happily on the little aluminum thing that came with my new iMac. But chances are this relationship too will go the way of all flesh in the near future.

Hope you solve your font problem. Hugs and sympathies to you.

Mum,

Consider MacSpeek (I think that is that name). You talk, it writes.

For the record I quit using dictation software when passages wound up with more swearing at the computer than actual content. My boss loves the stuff though. I am considering giving a few mac based dictations a try.

As to keyboards, I don’t mind the aluminum (mine is blue tooth), but it takes it toll after a while. I find that 10 hours a day is about all I can take. Then again I may be getting old.

Is this something that’s in the works to be fixed in 2.0, something that Apple has to fix in its OS before it’s fixed in Scriv, or something we should sacrifice a few chickens and menace a goat to try to appease the digital gods to try to have remedied?

I hope it’s not the latter. Have you ever tried to menace a goat? I still have the bruises…

You hope it’s not the last, you mean. “Latter” refers to the second of two items; it’s comparative, not superlative. When comparing two items, one is the better; when comparing three, one is the best. One of two is also the latter, and one of three is also the last.

Does that make sense?

On topic: it’s a text engine issue, so that means it’s on Apple OS.

Thanks, that’s good to know. I’ll clearly have to be more careful with my grammar on a forum full of authors.

On topic: I was afraid of that. At least the goat is safe.

In addition to latter referring to the 2nd of two people or items mentioned (the first being the former), “latter” also has the following meaning (multiple references for validity checking)

• situated or occurring nearer to the end of something than to the beginning
    (Apple dictionary)
  • nearer, or comparatively near, to the end or close
    (The Maquarie Dictionary, Revised 3rd Ed.)

So the use of “latter” with regard to sacrificial goats was, apparently, grammatically correct after all. Besides, never let good grammar get in the way of good expression. If we did, we wouldn’t still be reading Shakespeare and Kafka*.

• Admittedly I may be undermining my own argument with the latter example. :wink:

We now return on-topic: Never menace a goat. :open_mouth:

Sometimes, on these forums, I get the feeling that nobody actually knows what “on-topic” is… :slight_smile:

Now Keith, don’t get cranky and petty or vic-k will send in the ferrets. :smiling_imp:

If I have to get “on” topic does that mean I need to get “off” my chair? and once I am “on” the topic I am not sure how I will type as my feet will be in the way. Who would I engage for repair of my systems as I have previously been “on” topic and busted the hinge on my system.

This, I fear, has all the hallmarks of a cry for help.
Captain Grumpy, I am at your disposal, should you desire a consolation.
Do take care
Dr Mulality

PS Consultations are free of charge, to all members of Scrivener crew, irrespective of rank or status.

Depends on how you determine cost. I would counter that your consultations are extremely costly.

It’s not the consultations, it’s the dreaded rehab afterwards.

Hic.

Hm… depends on if the term was referring to the list of "something"s or the choice between two sacrifices. I presumed that he was referring to the last “something” of needing to perform a sacrifice; I guess you’re reading it as referring to the latter of the two choices of animal to sacrifice.

I never replied to this?!

hugs Mollys Mum I earned that one!

No, I was reading it as the list of sacrifices. It doesn’t depend: Whether the list of something’s or choice of sacrifices (or choice between font fixing and sacrifices), it still applies as it was “nearer the end”. As explained above, the word “latter” does not only refer to the second in a list of two, but also to being comparatively closer to the end. I will concede that it is traditionally used with lists of two items so that one has “former” and “latter” as the two comparatives, but it is not incorrect to use it with longer lists, or with no list, as the meaning of the word (i.e. “later”) still applies. Hence other uses such as “latter days” and “latterly”.

But when it comes to writing, I still maintain “Don’t let good grammar get in the way of good expression” (although I also continue with, “…and never let bad grammar impede it!”). :slight_smile:

But now I have transgressed and risk the Wrath Of Keith. Is it too late to mention fonts and goats and so return to topic?

Clarification: