State of the art for link management?

After years of research, I’ve collected thousands, a mountain of sorts, of links.

As I approach my ‘second draft’ (is that a legitimate phrase?) I’ve had to admit I need to find help.

The mountain has become unmanageable. I need to find a solution, if there is one, that can help me organize my links.

I’d like to hear what apps others may be using to manage their copious links, and why their solution works for them.

There’s an irony here in that (after collecting thousands of links off the internet) I’d love it if I could maintain whatever database I create locally on my desktop Mac. Less (sharing over the internet) is more for me.

Thanks for reading,
scrive
:thinking:

Check out https://obsidian.md/
It’s local by default. Markdown based. Cross-platform. You can use it like a personal Wiki or Zettelkasten.

2 Likes

Where are the links stored now?

What specifically do you want to do with them? Sort by topic? Search? Something else?

1 Like

Hi November_Sierra,

Apologies for not responding earlier … I’ll need to have a look at obsidian for managing my copious links … Thank you for the referral!

scrive

1 Like

Hi kewms,

Apologies for not responding earlier … thanks for the question!

Right now all the links are stored in a Scrivener project … It worked fine for a period of time, and still does to some extent … I am curious though as to what other apps there are that might offer more features.

I’ve relied on my Scrivener project file till now, but as I approach my second draft, I need something that may help me organize and catalogue the links, possibly for cross referencing with, I dare say, an index … I don’t know what is possible, or available, so I thought I’d ask the people who I thought would be the likeliest to do a lot of research and in need of such features.

If nothing pops up to meet my needs, I guess I could work on a Scrivener+LaTeX project to fashion something up to do what I need (LaTeX has a number of features that would be attractive) but the PDF output is generally not as interactive as I think I’ll need.

Thanks,
scrive

I use DEVONthink for that sort of thing. I don’t keep too many links, but take copies in Markdown or PDF format. Then when writing in Scrivener, I keep Scrivener on 1/2 left side of my screen, and the relevant DEVONthink database(s) on the right 1/2 of screen.

1 Like

Same. I also use primarily PDFs, so I’m not sure how DT would do with thousands of links. Their forums are very helpful, though.

2 Likes

I have tens of thousands (much more, actually) documents and the software handles with ease. I even have been able to even find useful stuff!

3 Likes