Still problems with Styles

Hello again! Windows 10 - Scriv 3.1.4
I’m still having trouble with Scrivener’s styles.
I read a German book, watched the L&L manual and the L&L videos on YouTube. I did everything exactly as it was described.

Image 1:
The complete text is formatted to Caption.
I select text, change the color, and only the selected text is changed.
For comparison: I have a project with 50 chapters, and if I change something in chapter 1, it will be the same in chapter 50.

Image 2 (example created with Word):
In Chapter 2, Scene 1 (No Style) a word is highlighted. I unmark the word, go to another view, it’s marked again. I go to full view and it’s highlighted again. I click and click, it’s marked again and again. I change the style, back to “No Style” and it’s checked. I repeat this 10-20 times and finally it’s demarcated.

Image 3 (example created with Word):
I am compiling a text (No Style) to Docx or Ebook and it looks like this. A different color can be seen in the middle. As I said, no style, and the text didn’t have a different color or style before.
Again: I have seen and read L&L manuals. I’ve been working with computers since the 80’s and with Office for more than 20 years. Typing some text, formatting, and creating styles isn’t rocket science.
Where are the problems suddenly coming from?
And please excuse my English, I had Google translate it.

2 Likes

What do you expect to happen? Unlike Word, AFAIK, Scrivevener styles have no “auto update” function, and there is a difference (ditto Word) between Character and Paragraph styles - the former indicated by an “a”, the latter by a pilcrow. (Your Caption is a paragraph only style.)

You can REdefine styles based on a selection, but I don’t think you mentioned that. Would that be helpful to you?

Can you give a (briefer) example of what you would like to achieve?

PS what did you mean, the style is “checked”?

1 Like

I select text, change the color, and only the selected text is changed.

Yes, if that is all you do then this sounds like it is working as expected. It is the same in Word of course, if you use a style that applies a colour to the text, and then select some text somewhere that is styled, and change its colour, nothing automatically happens to the other text that is styled the same way.

This concept is referred to as “direct formatting”, as you probably know. In my opinion it should usually be avoided, only used as a tool for modifying how you want styled text to look. Maybe you want your caption to be orange instead of blue, so you change one of the captions to be orange, and then redefine the style to update the rest. This is done by right-clicking on the style in the floating style window and selecting the correct command from the contextual menu.

Now this is important, what Julian_M1 had to say is quite right, in your screenshot your Caption style only saves paragraph attributes (such as centre-alignment). It deliberately will ignore character attributes like colour. So if you want that to actually update other captions to orange (or whatever), then in the dialogue box that comes up during redefine, make sure to change the *Formatting dropdown, which current says, “Save paragraph style”, to “Save all formatting”. After you do that, you will see that the icon for the style changes to ¶a, indicating it saves and applies both paragraph and character attributes.

With your “image 2” description, I am sorry but I do not understand what you are meaning to say here. The screenshot itself looks like a text selection to me, rather than formatting, but it’s hard to say since a highlight can look like a selection.

For “image 3”, I really have no way of knowing where the orange is coming from. It is good to know that the compiler can take a style and change how it looks when you compile, but first of all you would have to go through a number of steps to create that style instruction and change its formatting to orange. It is not something that would be accidentally done. The other thing is that you say it is not styled, so how black text turns orange without a style, I can’t think of anything. Again the things that come to mind are very difficult to do accidentally, like putting this into the CSS pane:

span { colour: orange; }

That would certainly make any use of spans throughout the book turn orange, and spans can be used all over the place, wherever there is character formatting, but again I can’t imagine you typed that in without knowing it. :slight_smile:

It might help to provide a small sample project, and attach it to your response, that demonstrates this behaviour. This can be easier than words, especially if Google translate is involved.

Thanks both for your answer!

1. I annotate in a smaller font in a different color. In my previous project, and also in Word, I change the font size, the font OR/AND the color in the style, for example, and it is adopted in the entire project. Why not now?
  2. Yes, selected text (Like This). I double click on a word and it is selected. But it can no longer be deleted. Its always selectet. I doubble click again, and again, and… change to another Chapter, start Scrivener again, but the text is still selectet.
  3. That’s what I meant: where does this color come from. I’m familiar with websites and CSS, so I know what you mean. But I start a new project, compile it, and different colors appear without me having played with the colors. How come?

This screenshot you made, it does not seem to be made from anything personal, could you share the copy of this project here as a .zip file of the whole “project name.scriv” folder? The other problems might be demonstrated more easily than through description.

I wrote that I created the examples with Word. I can’t upload the projects because I don’t want to publish the content. I don’t understand what you want to see there either. You can imagine the code, but it’s about why. Why is Scrivener spinning around like that.

Well the problem is that I cannot imagine it. There is nothing in Scrivener that would cause some text to turn orange when you compile it, just because it is there. That isn’t something anyone has ever reported before, and it isn’t something I can think of an explanation for, other than the features I already described (styles and CSS which can do that).

To clarify I would not need to see an entire project, maybe even only one single paragraph that demonstrates the problem. I do not even need to see the words themselves. It can be text that has been replaced by gibberish by using Search and Replace, swapping a few common letters to “X”.

But if providing reproduction data for this bug report is too much work, then I can only suggest some basic troubleshooting, like selecting some of the text that turns orange, cutting it from the file, clicking to another item, coming back, and then pasting it back in place using the Paste and Match Style menu command, to nuke its formatting completely.

1 Like