Stop word count in subfolders

Since the last update, I’ve noticed that the word count includes the subfolders beneath my chapters. I use those subfolders for cuts and extra material and do NOT want them included in the count.

I have unchecked the INCLUDE IN COMPILE for these, and that didn’t work. I have unchecked the project/statistics/options for ‘count subdocuments’ in the statistics pane, too, and that didn’t work either.

Can someone tell me how to stop the word count on subdocuments?

ALSO…is there a way for the subdocuments to NOT be appended to the chapter text? I just want the chapter material there, not my subdocument notes.

Could you work through for me what it is you are using to calculate the word count, as you put? There are too many variables involved in here for any singular, concise answer, or understanding of where a bug might be if there is indeed a bug.

For example, here is what I tried:

1. Create a new blank project.

2. Type in “test” into the starter document.

3. In the binder, Ctrl+D to duplicate the starter document, and then the shortcut for Edit ▸ Move ▸ Right to nest the duplicate beneath the first.

4. Select the initial starter document, and use Project ▸ Statistics..., clicking the “Selected Documents” tab.

We observe a word count of two, which is correct under these circumstances.

5. In the Options tab, disable Count subdocuments.

6. Return to the “Selected Documents” tab.

We observe a word count of one, which is correct given the modified settings.

ALSO…is there a way for the subdocuments to NOT be appended to the chapter text? I just want the chapter material there, not my subdocument notes.

Some specifics of what the context is, framing this question (compiling?), would help, but if you are asking why Scrivenings mode shows Scrivenings, the answer is to turn Scrivenings mode off, because that’s what it is meant to do.

Alternatively, if you do not use the Treat all documents with subdcouments as folders setting, in the Behaviors: Folders & Files option tab, then you might consider using nested files instead of folders! By default nested files (such as the arrangement I described in my above checklist) do not invoke your preferred group view mode, and load the item in a singular fashion.

Thanks. This is for a current novel I’m working on, not for compile.
I did as you instructed, even though the project has 80k words. (and the word count in your test file was ONE, not TWO because “test” is only one word–I assume that was just a typo?)

Anyway, turning off the scrivenings mode did the trick for both problems. I NEVER use it, and I guess the last update changed it, turned it on. (If so, that’s not ideal, as it changes current projects and settings I already have set up.) So…once i figured out how to turn of scrivenings, the word counts were right, and my nested subdocuments weren’t included.
Thanks for your help~and responding quickly.

The original test would have had two words, in the Statistics panel, not one, because the first document with one word in it was duplicated and we selected the parent item which would have counted both documents—but that is no matter. As it sounds like you’ve been using Scrivenings (inadvertently) for the word count instead of the Statistics panel: that explains what was going on!

1 Like